1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SURPRISE! PREAMP TUBES OF DOOM!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dasparks2004, Mar 18, 2008.

1. dasparks2004

dasparks2004 I LOVE TUBES

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    This is a great day. Why you ask... well I'll just tell you.

I just bought a locally owned 95 SVT II pro in good condition.

The owner moved to another country and the amp was officially owned by the band. The guitarist, who sold it too me, told me that they had it retubed immediately after they got home from a 2 month tour. The band broke up immediately after it's retubing. He swears the tubes are completely new and were never used once. I got a decent deal so I didn't even bother checking what pretubes were in it while thinking the whole ride home, dang this head sounds good. I was planning on swapping the pre tubes to probably JJ 12au7's... maybe 12ax7's... wait... what's this...

THEY'RE NOS AMPEREX 7316/ECC186's!!!!

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

If you don't know what these are, they're just about as rare as can be and have been said to be the best 12au7 ever made!

OMG! I think i just pooped a little. This is a great day that will live in infamy.

I just had to share my JOY with the world.

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Dude...congrats. very lucky.

but...

NO pics NO tubes:ninja:

3. dasparks2004

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    I'll get a pic.

I gotta borrow someone's digital camera though. Probably won't be until tomorrow evening.

Still giddy.

4. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Nice! Great to get that "something extra" along with a used tube head. The GEC KT88s that came with my Sound City paid for the head, cab, cap job, de-noise mod, retube, plus a nice bit of pocket money. Since then, I always check out the backs of any used tube heads I come across in stores, you never know when you might strike gold.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Nice score... but after that post you just gotta tell us how much ya payed

6. dasparks2004

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    Definitely will disclose the wonderful deal but warning you might pee your pants.

7. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    I doubt he will, it will kill the resale on here if he decides to sell it.

For some reason people on here think if you get a 1975 Fender Jazz at a yard sale for $75 bucks you are obligated to pass the deal on instead of getting what it's worth. :meh:

8. dasparks2004

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    Interesting. Thanks for the heads up... maybe I won't disclose how much I paid for it.

9. dasparks2004

Dec 4, 2007
    Seattle
    I'm fairly new to TB so maybe a dumb question but...

How would I go about selling some gear on here?? I can't find a place to post anywhere.

10. classified section

talkbass forums>bass guitar>classifieds.....if its not there, its just under the talkbass forum.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You have to be a supporting member to post ads in the TalkBass classifieds. For what it's worth, I think it's a good investment... TB is a great community. Not that I'm trying to influence your opinion or anything. :ninja: :p

12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Saying what you paid is a great way to make sure you'll never sell it here, that's for sure. I'm always careful, and I haven't sold anything here in ages. The tubes I mentioned I put on Ebay.