Surprised by a Carvin...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Jun 29, 2002.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I was in a local music store today and I saw a used Carvin LB75 hanging on the wall. Since Carvins are mail-order only and I don't live in So-Cal (where their showrooms are), I always like to check out a Carvin bass when I see one. I have played a handful of Carvin basses in the past and always thought they were OK, but when I played this one (unplugged at first), I thought to myself, "This is really nice".

What made the difference this time? This LB75 had the 5W wider asymmetrical neck-which felt great!

The bass also had the HB2 electronics (MM style pup at the bridge and single coil at the neck). I only played the bass plugged-in for a short time through a small practice amp, so I don't have a very good idea of what this bass can do amplified (I'll have to go back), but I didn't hear anything I didn't like.

The bass also had a quilted maple top, matching head stock, and gold hardware. The color had me puzzled. It looked like it was a clear copper color. I don't know if it was Carvin's Antique Brown or one of their red finishes.

One downer...The previous owner put a clear plastic scratch guard on the back of the bass that is held on with about eight 1/2-inch square pieces of velcro positioned around the perimeter of the scratch guard. Maybe the adhesive back velcro could be removed without damaging the finish.

Anyway, this bass has me seriously considering making a Carvin (maybe this one) my next bass purchase :) .
  2. heh, that rear scratch guard sounds weird. Well look at it this way, the bass wont have any scratches on the back! A little "Goo Gone" should remove that adhesive with no woes.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like the heck outta my Carvins...especially the wide-neck 5. It is a very comfortable configuration.

How much do they want for the LB75? If it's a good deal, sounds like you can't go wrong!
    Of course, you'll have to join the group at if you buy it...
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just visited the Carvin factory about a week ago. I used to go there once every couple weeks, when I lived about 2 miles from it. Anyway, I was reminded how beautiful their instruments are. I have to say that their construction, fit and finish are comparable to some of the finest hand-built basses out there. Their premium top woods are spectacular, and the tops are a full half-inch thick.

If I got a Carvin, the first thing I'd do is drop some Barts in it with some good electronics. The action and playability of these basses is first rate.

Why don't I own one? No snob appeal. Sorry.

(I know ... my Fenders are short on snob appeal too, but if you don't own at least one or two Fenders, you ain't no bass player.)
  5. Carvins tend to get "no respect", but I really luv my fretless 5-string. Sounds great, plays fast & easy, and looks like a much more expensive bass.

Mungi - for about a year now the electrics have been better (at least on the piezo versions) and are good enough to be used for studio work.

To all of you anti-Carvin snobs... you really should try one out again. I'd be willing to bet that you'll like it way more than you want to! ;)
  6. Unless of course you ARE a Fender Snob ;)
  7. I bought one of those AC50s last week and I really liked it. It was gloss black with tortoise shell body binding and gold hardware--very classy. The string spacing was a little tight for me, but it might've been partly because of the .60 tapewound G too. Despite being a snob about Carvin, I thought it was a good bass. Sent it back in order to buy a USA Spector.
  8. That's a BIG jump from an AC50 to a (USA) Spector. Seems like you might have tried an LB70P or LB75P first... course if you did you might not have gone Spector. :p

Just kidding, I'm glad you like your Spector. Post a pic or two real soon with an open minded description of how it plays and feels.

Oh yeah, now you're gonna have to look out for the Spector snobs out there! :D
  9. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IIRC, the price on the tag was $705. I've done some business in the store before, so I know I could get a few $ knocked off the price ;) (if it's not on consignment).
  10. Haha...nah, I can be a Fodera or Sadowsky snob.
  11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Funky, does this mean you're keeping your Tacoma?
  12. Nah, I sold the Tacoma last week. I discovered that the real advantage of an ABG live is the thumpiness, and I get a pretty good thump from my Brad Houser with Rotosound flats. The Tacoma is cool but since I'm always amplified, I don't really need a full-sized ABG. It wouldn't even fit in my car!
  13. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I've dreamt of a LB70 for about 4 or 5 years now. Once I get a good rig, that's the next thing I'm buying. (Unless I have to buy a new car or something. *knock on wood*)

Question though, I've been checking out the woods/finishes at their website and it has the figured walnut color swatch for the color demonstration available (which I totally love), but it's not listed in the section where you can check off the options you want. Don't they have any figured walnut in stock currently or what?
  14. MacDaddy

Jan 26, 2002
    Provo, UT, USA
    I have a LB70 with a figured walnut top. It looks completely different than the picture they show, but I think mine looks better anyways. The deal with the top is you have to order by phone to get it. It's 200 (100 with the 50% off deal they got going). You have to specify walnut sides if you want them, but I'm not sure if they cost more or not (mines alder).
  15. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Thanks Mac. Is the walnut just the top, or is the whole body made of walnut. Wonder why you have to order it by phone?