1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Surprised by how well the Sub'n'Up tracks and how low the latency is.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TuneSalad666, May 6, 2018.

1. TuneSalad666

TuneSalad666 Inactive

Mar 1, 2018
    Denmark
    So finally got time to check my setup with my relatively clean bass signal in one channel (only put to slight breakup on my tube preamp when I dig in hard) and then an octave up signal handled by the TC Electronic Sub'n'Up Mini followed by a Joyo Orange Juice set to mild overdrive and finishing off with a Zoom G1Xon adding a graphic EQ and some subtle chorus, tremolo and spring reverb to the signal.

Actually really satisfied with this setup.

So far I only tested it on my home practicing setup going through headphones, but have no doubt it will sound even better with the bass signal going through a dedicated bass amp and the octave up signal going through a guitar amp.

I am positively surprised with how well the Sub'n'Up tracks, it is really flawless as it says on TC Electronic's home page, and how low the latency is, no glitches whatsoever and almost immediate response, and the octave up signal as such sounds as good as you can expect a pitched up signal to do.

Wish I had an USB cable with an USB plug of the right size to fine tune how the octave sounds in the editor though, but so far I have no complains and am actually really pleased.

The Sub'n'Up works much better than the Digitech Ricochet I first bought for the purpose but had to send back because it glitched way too much, the Sub'n'Up both have lower latency and sounds better as well, and that even if the Sub'n'Up Mini was cheaper, if only by a few dollar.

Can not recommend the Sub'n'Up enough if you need an octave up signal, haven't tried the octave down feature or the tone print editor, but watched a video with a tutorial for the editor and that thing is actually fairly expansive and gives you the opportunity of making your octave signal sound exactly like you want with loads of EQ options controlling both the input signal feeding the octaver and the output tone of it, as well as you can add overdrive and chorus, flanger or vibrator effects on it which makes it possible to do some very organ like octaves.

And if you buy the Mini version which is equipped with the exact same engine as the bigger version, with the only downside that some features will be a bit more circumstantial to access as well as it only being able to handle two octave signals at a time, where the bigger version has both octave up and one and two octaves down, it's about half the price of what the EHX Micro POG costs.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    Shadowkast, tfer and willsellout like this.
  2. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I opened up the editor to see what I could do with the SnU.

After fumbling around for 20 minutes or so, I closed it and reloaded the default.

I consider myself fairly proficient technically, but the amount of control in there, scared the hell out of me...

TuneSalad666 and MattZilla like this.
  3. Aaarn

Aaarn

Nov 16, 2012
    tallinn undrgrnd
    Zombie-bump
    I wonder how Sub'n'Up tracking compares to Ricochet? Any warble at -1 octave? I assume Ricochet, The Drop and Bass Whammy all use the same detection circuit.
    Sounds somewhat pleasing. You could mask the digital tone of a pitchshifter with minimal impact on 'board real-estate.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021