Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surprised it took this long...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by uglycicles, Mar 25, 2005.

1. uglycicles

uglycicles Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Southwest Chicago
  2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Wow, I had to do some digging on Google to find out about this.

One thing that i cant seem to find out: why does her husband want her not to be rehabilitated?

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't even know how to respond...

4. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    They showed a CAT scan, or some brain scan, on the news the other day. To be quite honest, there is practically nothing left.
    Her husband says it was Terri's wishes that she not be kept alive for an extended period of time, while her parents want to keep her alive.

Whichever way you look at the morality of the whole situation, it's one of the saddest stories I can remember.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    She's been clinically brain dead for 15 years. The rehab boat has kinda left the building at this point.

6. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Very sad, but very true.

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Registrant:
    Unasi Management Inc. (TERRYSHIAVO-COM-DOM)

Galerias Alvear, Via Argentina 2, Oficina #3
    Zona 5, Panama 5235
    Panama
    +1.5095618700

+1.5095618700
    info@domaincar.com

Domain Name: TERRYSHIAVO.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Unasi Management Inc. info@domaincar.com
    Zona 5, Panama 5235
    Panama
    +1.5095618700
    Fax- +1.5095618700

Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
    Unasi Management Inc. info@domaincar.com
    Zona 5, Panama 5235
    Panama
    +1.5095618700
    Fax- +1.5095618700

Record last updated on 23-Mar-2005.
    Record expires on 21-Mar-2006.
    Record created on 21-Mar-2005.

Domain servers in listed order:

Name Server: NS1.DR-PARKINGSERVICES.COM
    Name Server: NS2.DR-PARKINGSERVICES.COM

= a bunch of ****bags.

8. Isn't there a small pile of money that he'll inherit when she dies?

Mike

9. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    -the brother was on the news the other day saying he already got the money, spent most of it on school to educate himself about repiratory therapy etc.

Media loves a circus.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    They would love that creepy air of desperation and failure. Only the media could love clown.

11. Oy. :rollno:

Thanks, Bliss.

Mike

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    NP

I just meant, it's nigh impossible for us to know anything when it's filtered through the usual tomfoolery.

13. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Very sad story.

Sorry if this seems really ignorant, dont think we got much of this on our side of the pond.

A lot of what I read was against the family and with the husband, is that common opinion? Personally, from reading the (admittedly biased) media coverage, thats where I stand.

:scowl:

14. It is a sad story.

But the media/political hype annoys me to no end. Similar situations (without the legal wrangling concerning who has custodial rights) occur everyday across the US. This all could have been avoided with a simple living will.

15. As has been witnessed by the thousands of Social Workers across the country filling out Informed Consent forms.

16. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    Not quite. She's in a persistive vegetative state, but not braindead. That said, I'd still pull the plug. It's just a political thing. What the media is doing to this case is a ****ing travesty. Just look at the images of her smiling at her parents. What they don't tell you is that her face is frozen that way.

17. Instead of letting her starve to death, just put her to sleep. They do it to animals, so why not humans too?

18. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    We do. Its called capital punishment. :)

19. IMHO, this has had far too much political and religious ideology atached to it.

Here's the issues, one by one:

1) Is she brain dead? Yes, according to all of the independent doctors who have examined her. (The only doctors who say otherwise have questionable credentials and have been hired by the parents.)

2) Can she get better? The same experts say "no"...it's been 15 years since her injury.

3) Did she say she doesn't want to live like this? More than one witness has testified under oath that she said (before her heart attack) she does not chose to live like this.

4) Who is her legal guardian? Her husband, plain and simple, according to law AND the moral sanctity of marriage.

There's been something like 25 or 30 court rulings on this case so far, and all of them have agreed on the above points. All of them.

I realize it's tough for the parents to lose their daughter, but I wish they would just let her go...15 years of suffering is enough.