Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Surreal Moments in Your Life

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 28, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ever have one of those moments that are so out of the ordinary that you can't explain it. Well, explain it here! :p

It can be anything from an near death experience to having one of your cornflakes resemble Jerry Garcia without a beard.

What brought this thread on? Well I'm going for my usual nighttime campus stroll this lovely thanksgiving break. Rockin' out to Frizzle Fry, when all of a sudden my batteries die, and I hear nothing. Then I look around, and I see no one. No person, no cars, no unnessicary beeps, bells or buzzers. Nothing. This is on a campus normally filled with activity during the day, and at night usually filled with cars. I felt like I was the last man on earth. Walking home, I kept looking for signs of life... no one. I haven't came to bed yet, so I don't know if my girlfriend still exsists. In fact, if this gets no replies, either this thread is super lame, or I am the last man on earth.

*freak out, man*

2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Some that stand out:

First playing the tuba.
    First playing my tuba.
    First playing bass (which became my bass).
    First jazz-fusion experience.
    First (real) kiss.

Mainly it is "firsts" that are most surreal and special.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    :oops: Oh, aparently there is still life on earth... well maybe for christmas. :p

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Driving just outside of Kansas City, and we were the only car on the road... at like 6:30 PM. Oncoming or going our way.

Not a soul.

Was like that for about 15 minutes.

Hell, most of the Midwest come twilight is pretty surreal.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Another one that kinda changed my life.

I was in North Carolina, and there is this hiking area called Shining Rock. Basically, you go on a ten mile hike to get to a huge rock you can climb around on. It's hideous looking, but it's really fun. It's some strange earth mineral that's enormous. But off to the side, there was this chunk of it that broke off. It was in an area surrounded by winding branches that formed a curtain around the rock and purple flower pedals were raining on top of the rock that was already covered with the pedals. It looked like a scene out of a cheesy chick flick, but it was beautiful. I didn't have a camera to capture it, I'm kicking myself for that. But now, I'm a photo major in college. And I take picture of things that are nothing like that at all. ;)

6. This one time my friend got a hooker, and I went with him and I guess she got pissed off at him or he didn't pay enough for what he wanted. Next thing you know were being chased down the 10 East Freeway by a Jamaican pimp trying to cut us off and kill us. That was pretty freaking surreal.

7. ditto on the firsts idea nick!

firsts with girls you care about are always surreal!

other surreal moments is everytime i get on stage i get this feeling like "wow, this is just, right"

oh yeah, riding the hulk roller coaster at islands of adventure was pretty freakin surreal! (you shoot out of the tunnel at about 80 mphs!)

:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    A girl that really screwed me some time ago still has an eerie sense to just call when my life makes a turn for the better, instantly letting me hit the ground again.
    She's amazing. Months can pass without any notice, but when I meet someone new for example, she calls. :p

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    First beer with my dad...

First whiskey shot at christmas...

First time me and joe drank together...

First time I rode a dirtbike...

first time i almost "made it". DAMN THAT ALMOST!

uuuhhh... ya.

10. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    :D

First time I fired a gun.

When I struck my first note on bass.

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    First time i could play a scale on a bass.

First time i saw boobies.

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The internet doesnt count :p

13. first kiss was certainly surreal. since the girl was using me, lying to me, and generally driving me insane. once i stop denying it, and accepted that she was killing me, every second spent with her seemed surreal.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Exactly.

15. The time I farted on my school bus and everyone nearly died.

(sorry if that was crude. But it was surreal.):rolleyes:

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Over a year ago there was a similar thread and I posted about a girl I met over the summer and cheated on my girlfriend at the time with. She read it and hated me for it.

Tonight I saw her again and we went out for a movie. I spilled my heart out to her telling her how I felt about her and how sorry I was about everything I ever did to her. I kissed the woman who I could not get off of my mind for over a year before I left to college and it became too late.

That perfect kiss on this cool stary night was surreal.

The fact that this thread pops up now is kinda odd too.

Peace
    Nick

17. danqi

danqi

May 21, 2001
    Germany
    My whole life is surreal (I study Chinese in order to direct movies in China if it doesn't work out with hollywood), surreal things happen to me all the time and I make surreal movies.
    I am so anxious to see when I will loose contact with reality.:eek: :cool: ;) :meh:

18. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I know the feeling, I have one of those. I am just dumb enough to fall for the bull**** every single time. I keep telling myself this person loves me, but, NOT!

Wow, I thought I was the only one with this experience.