Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

survey of your amps for college student--please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lara, Mar 22, 2003.

1. lara

lara

Mar 22, 2003
    Hey! I’m doing a research project for my music products class—if you could help me with these answers that would be awesome!!!!!
    Lara

1)amp of choice?

2)why—tone?design?size? strengths and weaknesses of amps you own?

3)how much does design of the amp play into your purchasing decision?

4)would you consider buying an amp with neon/electrically lighted knobs (could see in the dark) or would you never stray from the classic (often black) knobs?

5)would this be an asset to your amp

6)if your local guitar store would replace your knobs on your old amp with this feature for only the price of the knobs would you get it done? How much would you be willing to pay?

7)your age

8)male/female

9) favorite music

10) state

2. 1.) Ampeg, but I am starting to re-think and get a new rig.

2.) SVT3 Pro head and a SVT-810 cab. Like the directness and punchy sound of the cab, but I need more power, so the head might be replaced soon. And even though the cab is huge, it is really easy to move, with tilt back wheels and the fact that I have a pickup to haul it around in.

3.) Design is important, I like the sound of tubes, so that is why I purchased it. Like the somewhat dirty sound.

4.) No. It would look to weird for me. I have a power conditioner in my rack with lights in it, but I have yet to play somewhere that isn't lit well enough to see my knobs.

5.) Look above.

6.) Again, no.

7.) 19

8.) Male

9.) Metal/Hardcore

10.) NE-Nebraska

jtbp

3. 1) See my profile
    2) Tone and size/weight
    3) Amp design is important
    4) I'd consider it if I liked other things about the amp and the neon wasn't overly intrusive/annoying.
    5) Not really.
    6) I wouldn't be interested.
    7) 40
    8) male
    9) jazz and blues
    10) CA

So, lara, what marketing firm are you with?

4. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    haha yeah. you can always tell that theyre in marketing since they wont come out and say it. funny how its less marketable to get responses this way than say the way kurt has with rondo. or the qsc guy.

5. 1)amp of choice?

Aguilar DB 750 w/ Aguilar GS 410

2)why—tone?design?size? strengths and weaknesses of amps you own?

Primarily tone and volume

3)how much does design of the amp play into your purchasing decision?

I like a relatively simple layout, so the design is a factor.

4)would you consider buying an amp with neon/electrically lighted knobs (could see in the dark) or would you never stray from the classic (often black) knobs?

I don't really care what an amp looks like.

5)would this be an asset to your amp

no.

6)if your local guitar store would replace your knobs on your old amp with this feature for only the price of the knobs would you get it done? How much would you be willing to pay?

No.

7)your age

8)male/female

Male

9) favorite music

Metal

10) state

PA

6. 1) Ampeg B3158 combo
    2) Because it was cheap and accessible at the time, and I don't have the money or need for anything bigger/better.
    3) Simple is better, but looks don't matter.
    4) No
    5) No
    6) No
    7) 16
    8) Male
    9) Punk rock
    10) Mass

7. lara

lara

Mar 22, 2003
    actually, i'm not with a marketing company--i'm a music industry student at USC and doing a research project in marketing of musical products:) I figured someone would suspect i was with a firm or something, but no.

8. lara

lara

Mar 22, 2003
    thank you to everyone who has responded so far--keep them coming!!!!

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    1)amp of choice?--- Tube! or Ashdown

2)why—tone?design?size? strengths and weaknesses of amps you own?--- tone I'm in need of speaker upgrades

3)how much does design of the amp play into your purchasing decision? --- design??? you mean shape and color... or the engineering? either way it's all about the tone.

4)would you consider buying an amp with neon/electrically lighted knobs (could see in the dark) or would you never stray from the classic (often black) knobs? --- same, I wouldn't care if'n it sounded good

5)would this be an asset to your amp --- nope

6)if your local guitar store would replace your knobs on your old amp with this feature for only the price of the knobs would you get it done? How much would you be willing to pay? --- LOL nope! give me some for free and I might pimp out my head ;)

7)your age --- 35

8)male/female --- male

9) favorite music --- Acid Jazz

10) state --- NJ

10. 1)SWR

2)tube preamp plus reliable SS power stage.

3)not much - the sound is what counts

4)only if it was on the best sounding amp

5)for an old blind guy like me - MAYBE!

6)yes $2 per knob

7)47

8)male

9) Classic R&B (i.e. motown/memphis), Soul and Blues

10) state - catatonic! (Actually - province of Ontario, Canada)

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    1) Peavey MINX110

2)It was cheap, sounded good, and loud for its size.

3)Hmm fairly significant- as long as it has all the important features (eq, PA-out, headphone jack, that kinda stuff) I'm happy

4)LED or neon knobs could be cool, but you don't need to mess with your amp very often during a gig-lighted EQ knobs would be the best, like on a slider.

5)I suppose it would make it more functional

6)I'd do it if it was under $10

7) 18

8)male

9) blues/funk

10) CO

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    1) Fender Bassman 200(but wouldnt mind a 400:D)
    2)Tone, power and portability
    3)None
    4)Maybe, but not a requirement
    5)Maybe
    6)As little as possible
    7)36
    8)Male
    9)Rock
    10)NY

13. 1. Ampeg, but I may be switching to something else
    2.Ampeg's have a good tone kinda big and heavy, my current amp is dying though:bawl:
    3. Big part if it looks like crap and is way too heavy, i'd toss it througha window(also if it sounded bad too)
    4. Nah, don't need em'
    5. Not really
    6. Nothing, cause I don't want them
    7. 16
    8. male
    9. Metal to fusion(and everything inbetween)
    10. Rhode Island

14. 1)peavey firebass

2)power, tone, PRICE

3)not much

4)no. i don't change my settings during the set, and i wouldn't pay extra for a cosmetic feature.

5)no

6)no

7)20

8)male

9) indie rock

10) virginia

15. 1) Eden Navigator powered by borrowed QSC RMX 850 or 2450 (I will soon be buying an 1850HD) into Aguilar 210 and 112

2) TONE! Love the way it sounds...has a few too many knobs for my taste and I dislike all the cords necessary for a pre/poweramp rig, but oh well

3) Unless the design REALLY sucks, it doesn't matter too much so long as the tone is there

4) whatever sounds best

5) Nah, the Navigator has so many lights that I wouldn't need it anyway :p

6) nope

7) 20

8) male

9) rock, jazz, ska...

10) Michigan

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Even on dark stages I can see my knobs. But, if you could do laser beams that shoot out of my amp in time to the music, I'd give you some $!

17. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    1)SWR

2)I like my SWR SM-500 because I really dig the hi-fi nature of the sound. It's also relatively light, and it has a great EQ section.

3)Slightly... I mostly go by sound, and quality construction.

4)I wouldn't consider it because I don't think the focus should be on my amp during a performance. Also, I've never had a problem seeing my amp, and I dont adjust it too much during a set.

5)No.

6)No.

7)20

8)Male

9)I play everything, but my band is Metal:)cool: )

10) State: NY