1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Survey: Official name for a singlecut "whale hump" bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kohanmike, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Whale Hump

20.0%
  2. Jumbo

4.0%
  3. Other

44.0%
  4. Humback

16.0%
  5. Narwhale

16.0%
  1. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

When I first saw a singlecut "whale hump" bass on TB a couple of years ago I thought it was odd looking, but since then it's grown on me, so much so that I'm having one of my Rondo Hadean bass ukes modified. I know this kind of singlecut is lumped together with many other singlecuts like the Les Paul, the Telecaster and others, but I think it deserves it's own official designation to separate it from the others.

It's been called a whale hump derogatorily, but I think that label is so indicative of the look, it really fits. I tend to use that description most of the time, but today I was watching "Sunday Morning" on CBS of the 747 being taken out of passenger service to be used only for cargo. They mentioned the "whale hump" design and it got me thinking that the 747 is called "jumbo" by controllers and personnel, which would be a good name for the singlecut whale hump as well.

My survey includes whale hump and jumbo, but you can add your own suggestions.

This is going to be my 24" scale bass uke whale hump/jumbo. The hump is a actually a cheat, it's a pickguard covering over the upper cutaway and top, with a burl veneer added, plus matching fake pickups, it has an under saddle bridge piezo, ready sometime this week.

(Please don't rip me for this, I'm having fun in my retirement doing these kind of mods. This is also my first survey, yes, I have a lot of time on my hands, even with practicing everyday.)

Rondo burl pups 800.

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    When I think of a singlecut bass, the above picture is exactly what I'm thinking of. Why complicate it and make another name?

When someone mentions a Les Paul style instrument, guess what I think of...

3. Humpty, pronounced with an "umpty".

4. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i just call them single-cut basses. if you want to talk about them to other bass players, that's the term most people will understand.

5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    "Wally"

6. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Is your fourth string glued to the bridge?

Lobster11 likes this.
  7. Block the Rock

8. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    Moby

9. Plake

Plake Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2010
    Orca
    or Fred. That bass looks like a Fred.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    Zane DeBord and Frampton like this.
  10. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    Orca

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    "Single-cut"

ObsessiveArcher, pcake and Gizmot like this.
  12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Shamu.

13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    "Mutant Earlobe"

14. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    What about calling it Humpback, as in the humpback whale, which are also known for their complex songs:

Humpback whale - Wikipedia

Here's a paragraph from the article on their song specifically:

Both male and female humpback whales vocalize, but only males produce the long, loud, complex "song" for which the species is famous. Each song consists of several sounds in a low register, varying in amplitude and frequency and typically lasting from 10 to 20 minutes.Individuals may sing continuously for more than 24 hours.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2017
    jam.majors and +6dB Dan like this.
  15. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    Make sure you use whale oil on it.

16. Moby Dick

17. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I like humpback too. I showed my picture to the leader of my group and she thought camel hump, then noticed that the lower bout actually did make it look like a whale with it's mouth open. Come to think of it, it looks like a narwhale with the neck sticking out.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  18. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I'm in with Singlecut (that's what guitars styled like this are called).

gorneyg, BrBss and pcake like this.
  19. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    Air traffic control's term for big airplanes like the 747 is not "jumbo," it's "heavy."

I may be an outlier but I'm not a fan of any six string bass unless someone else is playing it and playing it well. Every one of them looks out of proportion to me. But I'm an engineer, so...

20. Singlecut works just fine. It only poses a problem when you get the pedantic Les Paul players creeping in. LP style basses are fairly uncommon and within the hobby I think most bassists know what you're talking about when you say "singlecut."