Survey on fretboards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kenjikun, Jul 8, 2008.

1. kenjikun

kenjikun

Apr 27, 2008
    Japan
    Which one do you prefer and why, an almost flat fingerboard or more curved (is my english right)? I have a jazz copy with almost flat board and another '85 Japanese Squier P-Bass with more rounded board. I find it more comfortable with the P-Bass even though I have small hands.

2. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Talkbass lets you create polls, you know... You might be able to edit this and create one.

I like flatter or flat fingerboards, because I came to bass from a classical guitar background. Classical guitars have no radius.

Older Fenders have a more rounded fingerboard, more along the lines of an upright, but not nearly that rounded. I can't stand them.

3. Flat, thin, and fast. I gotta be able to grip it and move.

4. I like a slight curve. Playing flat boards makes my fetting hand actually get cramped after awhile.....And I am playing proper technique.

5. I find a gentle radius is preferable.

Davo

6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    I prefer more flat board, they're easier to play. My main bass (fender '62 jazz bass reissue) have a 7,25" radius which I don't like very much. At least 9,5" radius for me, please.

7. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    +1; whatever my MTD Artist 5 is, that's what I like.

I have a totally flat fretboard on my custom build, but it's not as comfortable as my MTD's neck by a long shot.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021