Survey-Top amp attributes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dave251, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Clean power

4 vote(s)
  2. "Accuracy"

0 vote(s)
  3. Portability

2 vote(s)
  4. Reliability

5 vote(s)
  5. Simplicity

0 vote(s)
  6. Combo

0 vote(s)
  7. Head/cab

0 vote(s)
  8. Versatility

3 vote(s)
  1. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    What is your most important attribute in an amp? And if you could, please state your typical music genre; this little survey will help in our design process....

2. erm, alot of that is apples and oranges

i prefer a head/cab with plenty of power, that is simple to use, not too bothered about clean sound, i like some grit getting in there from the amp

and shouldnt reliability be something you'd want anyway? i mean, if nobody votes for reliability are you going to make an amp that craps out every 5 minutes?

i play punk/proper hardcore mostly
  3. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    This won't be that helpful, but if you "take out combo" as a requirement, I vote for all of the above. I have combo's I like: swr super redhead, swr baby blue 2x8...I have lots of other stuff, but what I use the most these days is a schroeder 1210 powered by either a TFB420, or eden wt800b...
    Big clean power, lots of easily understood eq options, small portable package.
  4. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Well of course reliability is paramount ...but some folks like to use an old Ampeg Portaflex....not the most durable for extended touring in a converted it's a priority, but not necessarily the first priority. Nobody would EVER consider even the most well made tube amp if reliability was their top concern...although I've seen Fender Showman amps abused like would wouldn't believe, and still work....
  5. haha, you REALLY shouldnt say things like that about these parts, tube amps are reliable aslong as you dont knock them about
  6. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I put down versitiltiy. But again there is more than one good option you listed that I could of picked.

I guess versitility, headroom, 2ohms? (versitility?) and reliability do it for me.

7. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I play classic rock.
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Clean power is my personal first consideration, but if you don't have reliability, well . . . you're just Behringer. ;)

The most versatile amp in the world will suck without enough clean power, and sales will slow once word gets out about any lack of reliability, except for the low end beginner/student "I buy it because it looks cool and fits my budget" type of player that doesn't do research before they buy.

After these considerations, I look at tone options, size and weight considerations.

IMO, small, cheap amps need good looks. Higher end quality stuff can look like a turd and people will buy it if its powerful, reliable, and sounds great, regardless of looks.
  9. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If it's not reliable what good is it? Been there - done I refuse to sell my back-up rig.

Reliability gets my vote.

I play for a classic/modern rock cover band.