1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Survival Sunday" in the English Premier League

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, May 21, 2011.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    This is going to be a tight finish. West Ham are already down. Two of five other clubs - Blackburn, Wolves, Birmingham, Blackpool, Wigan - will join them tomorrow.

Looking at the table, it seems Wolves may have done enough with their last two results to beat the drop, although this is by no means certain as the possible scenarios are many and varied.

Here's what William Hill are currently offering as odds for relegation bets:
    Blackburn 12/1
    Wolves 8/1
    Wigan 8/11
    Birmingham 8/13
    Blackpool 1/3

Anybody care to comment or make a prediction?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/table/default.stm

2. It isn't looking good for Blackpool at all. I don' think they'll manage to stay up :(

My other prediction goes to...Birmingham. I think the best they can hope for is a draw with Tottenham (if they do draw Wigan goes down instead, since I think Wigan vs Stoke is going to result in a draw).

3. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    The Blackpool result will depend a bit on what team Fergie puts out. As Man Utd have already won the Chamionship, he's almost certainly going to rest some players for the European Final, whatever the FA says.

But I agree that things are looking bleak for them, and also Blues and Wigan. Two out of those three will probably be relegated. I very much hope so, as that would mean Wolves staying up. At this stage, it's definitely every man for himself.

4. EBodious

EBodious

Aug 2, 2006
    Iowa
    "survival sunday"

follows "rapture saturday?"

other than that, none of yours word mean anything to me....

5. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Okay, it's over three hours to kick off and I'm already wound up like a watch. This is really tough today.

COME ON YE WOLVES!!

6. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Man, that was so close it was unreal. I think I'm about to have a heart attack. WOLVES we are and remain.

7. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Well done Wolves!!

8. bassobrutto

bassobrutto Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2010
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    What a finish. Enough squeaky bums around the Midlands to be audible from the moon. Roman Pavlyuchenko did more for Wolves today than he's ever done for Spurs. Great to see Wolves survive, but huge shame about Blackpool.

9. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    You called it, both went down. It was a close one, there was certainly a chance that the Wolves were going down, glad to see they didn't.

Blackpool had some great chances, they certainly fought hard, but it was not to be.

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Our second goal would have been enough even if Spurs only drew. But I wasn't sad to see them get their winner.

11. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Congrats to your Wolves Bill!

12. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Cheers Pat! Man, that was a rollercoaster.

13. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    _52891278_mccarthy_2205.

14. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    That's gotta feel good for you, staying up at the expense of Birmingham!

Serious shame about Blackpool - looked for a while like they were staying up...

15. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    It's interesting to note, looking back at the OP, that William Hill betters called this one correctly as a group, looking at the prices that were on offer.