Sus chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 1, 2002.

1. whats the formula???
    specially for F#sus. there isnt a number after it at all.......
  2. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    no 3rd but a 4th from a major triad

Fsus= F-G-A-A#-C-D-D#

3. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    you meant F#

4. so is it a per4 or dimin4 aug4?
  5. jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13

i'm still learning
  6. i guess thats why i have this HUGE book infront of me with the major triads bookmarked (funny huh?)

btw- the a# is a perf4
  7. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I believe that if there is no number after it most often means it is a suspended 4th.

So, in F#sus it would actually be F#sus4. And, that would be F#-B-C#. A suspended 4th consists of your root (F#), perfect 5th (C#), and perfect 4th (B). The 4th replaces the 3rd in the chord. As you can see there is no 3rd.

Hope this helps! (Hope this is correct! :eek: )

8. bassist4ever:

Quick aside re: your sig:

"I'm here to do two things: chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm out of bubble gum."

I think what you mean, is that you're out of bubble gum, so you'll kick some ass - in which case it should be "...chew bubble-gum or kick some ass..." - the way you have it written, it doesn't seem to make sense...

- Wil
  9. I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, it's aquote from Roddy Piper in a movie, where is WAS said chew bubble-gum AND kickass
  10. thanks dry water....
    i saw it in the previews on TNT a few weeks ago...
  11. I'm not questioning the accuracy of the quote, but stating the fallacy of the logic - that's all...

- Wil
  12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When you see "sus" in a chord it means put a 4th (Ex: F#, "B", C#) in the triad instead of the 3rd (Ex: F#, "A#", C#)(Alex Lifeson of Rush LIVES on these). Sometimes it will be written "sus4" (Ex: F#sus4) which is the same as "sus". Why you ask?: Because there also could be a "sus2" in the song (Ex: F#sus2 = F#, "G#", C# triad). Some people might want to call this a "9" chord (Ex: F#9) but then it has to have the 3rd and the 7th to be a true "9" chord (or just the 3rd to be an "add9" chord, Ex: F#add9).

Hope This Helps.

PS. The Roddy Piper quote was from "They Live". The quote (as I remember it) was: "I'm here to do two things, kick ass and chew bubble gum....and I'm all out of bubble gum". Logic be damned!
  13. thanks all of you!
    i always know where i can come to get answers on chords.
    anyways i had some confusion on that subject sunday because the keyboard play played a 2nd in there and i thought i had jacked it all up!
    But all in all it works!!!

THanks again...

Phat Basstard... i couldnt remember the quote word for word so thanks........

off to change my sig..