Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sus chords

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassist4ever, Jun 1, 2002.

1. whats the formula???
    specially for F#sus. there isnt a number after it at all.......

2. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    no 3rd but a 4th from a major triad

Fsus= F-G-A-A#-C-D-D#

F-A#-C

3. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    you meant F#

F#-B-C#

4. so is it a per4 or dimin4 aug4?

5. jvasquez18

jvasquez18

Sep 23, 2000
    S.E. 323, 13
    sorry!!

i'm still learning

6. i guess thats why i have this HUGE book infront of me with the major triads bookmarked (funny huh?)

btw- the a# is a perf4

7. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    I believe that if there is no number after it most often means it is a suspended 4th.

So, in F#sus it would actually be F#sus4. And, that would be F#-B-C#. A suspended 4th consists of your root (F#), perfect 5th (C#), and perfect 4th (B). The 4th replaces the 3rd in the chord. As you can see there is no 3rd.

Hope this helps! (Hope this is correct! :eek: )

Cheers,
    Stephanie

8. bassist4ever:

Quick aside re: your sig:

"I'm here to do two things: chew bubble gum and kick some ass, and I'm out of bubble gum."

I think what you mean, is that you're out of bubble gum, so you'll kick some ass - in which case it should be "...chew bubble-gum or kick some ass..." - the way you have it written, it doesn't seem to make sense...

;)

- Wil

9. I believe, if my memory serves me correctly, it's aquote from Roddy Piper in a movie, where is WAS said chew bubble-gum AND kickass

10. thanks dry water....
    i saw it in the previews on TNT a few weeks ago...

11. I'm not questioning the accuracy of the quote, but stating the fallacy of the logic - that's all...

- Wil

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    When you see "sus" in a chord it means put a 4th (Ex: F#, "B", C#) in the triad instead of the 3rd (Ex: F#, "A#", C#)(Alex Lifeson of Rush LIVES on these). Sometimes it will be written "sus4" (Ex: F#sus4) which is the same as "sus". Why you ask?: Because there also could be a "sus2" in the song (Ex: F#sus2 = F#, "G#", C# triad). Some people might want to call this a "9" chord (Ex: F#9) but then it has to have the 3rd and the 7th to be a true "9" chord (or just the 3rd to be an "add9" chord, Ex: F#add9).

Hope This Helps.

PS. The Roddy Piper quote was from "They Live". The quote (as I remember it) was: "I'm here to do two things, kick ass and chew bubble gum....and I'm all out of bubble gum". Logic be damned!

13. thanks all of you!
    i always know where i can come to get answers on chords.
    anyways i had some confusion on that subject sunday because the keyboard play played a 2nd in there and i thought i had jacked it all up!
    But all in all it works!!!

THanks again...

Phat Basstard... i couldnt remember the quote word for word so thanks........

off to change my sig..