Suspicious Music man on e-bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by axel, Dec 2, 2004.

1. axel

Nov 30, 2004
    I'm kind of new to shopping on e-bay but I ran across an ad for Music Man Stingray that smells a little funny. Check out item#3766261108. This same bass was recently listed as #3765683018 and pulled the day before ending. This guy has had three identities in the last year and will not provide any information regarding model year, condition or photos of the actual item.
    What do you think?
  2. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I think there are alot of basses just like that one for sale. Don't lose any sleep over this guy. He's probably more confused than you are. :D

4. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    LOL -- I've been watching that too, and had the same response...FYI: you can get a cheap escrow service (try to handle things if you're really intent on getting the bass and the seller is willing. For that price range, you'd probably end up paying $25-30 in fees, but it's a great kind of insurance. If you're not familiar with "escrow" here's how it would work: you give your money to a third party, they tell the seller to ship you the bass, when you tell the service that the bass arrived, they send the money on to the seller. So if you never receive the bass, you're covered. It adds a small amount of work to the seller, but no cost, so if they're unwilling to do it, you know you don't want to deal with them.

Good luck!

5. Take a look at the list of current bidders. They all have the same format to their user ID's as the seller. This auction reeks.
  6. lethargytartare

Sep 7, 2004
    It's odd -- he replies to inquiries, but doesn't offer much in the way of additional info. Here's the reply:

And hows '' for an email address?? It just screams 'scam'...or it could just be a person who keeps pissing people off and changes ids the minute he/she gets any negative feedback...ugh...

7. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Why even bother with it? Y'know how many of them are out there to be had?

Edward G.
    Baltimore, MD
  8. Ed DiVincenzo

Ed DiVincenzo

Nov 17, 2002
    I think you answered your own question. I reputable Ebayer is easily spotted, especially by viewing feedback. A snake usually gives himself away, if you look close. The easiest to spot is the "it's too good to true" price or deal. Like the '03 Harley Road King with THOUSANDS in extras with a "buy it now" price of $6500.00. The guy was in Greece AND wanted the buyer to wire the CASH via Western Union. Most are not this obvious, however.
  9. tonynoriega

tonynoriega Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    If it smells like a duck........etc. I'm a long time ebayer and I steer clear of anything that smacks of a rip-off. If a guy is legit, he'll gladly offer info. If someone inquires about my ebay listings I gladly provide my address and phone number, etc., because I've got nothing to hide, and it works in reverse as well.
  10. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Look at all the other items he has listed... no condition listed on anything... all information looks like it was cut from the webpage... and stock photos from some retailers site. A fool and his money are soon parted...
  11. DannyB

Aug 17, 2004
    just an fyi... a friend of mine laid out $600 for a fretless stingray about 2 years ago and has yet to see the bass..... sounds vaguely familiar
  12. Man I had the same problem with a set of lights and a smoke machine that I bought last July and still haven't received them... watch out for these people...

by the way the seller is: Caleb Rainwater and goes for the name: igiafwaval

Don't buy anything from him...
  13. osciphex

Jun 1, 2001
    Man... check out his other auctions... he has a string of other overly cheap, strangely setup auctions for high end audio equipment. Note that they all feature a single photograph that looks as if its been taken from a catalog...

Bahaha, some of the "item locations" are listed only as "The Great Midwest" wow..