Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suspicious Warwick Fortress on Ebay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Jan 6, 2005.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's a fishy one I found on E-Bay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=3774076275&rd=1

The things that make it fishy:

2003 model, the Fortresses were discontinued as a German model years earlier. However it could be a custom job.

It's a painted Warwick. Never ever seen one. They claim that it was because of an imperfection in the wood. If it were an imperfection, then couldn't they have gotten a different body since it was a custom job. For the most part, I find that Warwick (and Germans in general), stand behind the quality of their product. Also the Fortress was made of flame maple. Why take a gorgeous piece of flame maple and paint over it?

Passive electronics - I know that the Fortress came in a passive version. But so do Rockbasses. If it were passive then the cost would be less anyway.

Ovankol Neck - The fortresses had wenge necks. But this could be a custom job so who knows. My Fortress Flashback has an ovankol neck because it was a custom job made from left over parts, but my Fortress One and Fortress MM have wenge necks.

I'm thinking that it's a Rockbass with a Warwick neck. I know that the bridge is a German one, but if it were added later painting it would cover up the old holes of the one piece rockbass bridge.

The price is outrageous anyway, so I don't think anyone would bid on it. Unless someone is really desperate to buy a Fortress. But they can be had for much cheaper anyway. And for that price, I'd rather have flamed maple than paint anyway.

I'm thinking about e-mailing the serial number to Warwick to verify.

2. Price kind of high for a factory reject. But what about the papers? Kind of a defensive posture for a seller to take on his opening pitch.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I never thought of it as a factory reject. If so, then the price is really high. I'm also not sure if the papers will indicate much other than the stock specs.

Anyway, I emailed Warwick and hopefully they can ID it. They were able to ID my Fortress Flashback to the year and color.

4. It's not a factory reject. According to the ebay auction, the "imperfection" in the wood was not desired by the customer, so it was painted at the customer's request by Warwick.