Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Sussudio" sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Murf, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi all, First of all I AM NOT A PHIL COLLINS FAN, however I always wondered how Lee Sklar and Nathan East got that funky bass sound on the live versions of Sussudio, it sounds like some kind of Dynamic/Envelope filter or something...anyone got any ideas??

Cheers.
    Murf

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....anybody???????

(or maybe I just dreamt it...)

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Sorry everyone left ya hanging!!! :) But I dont think anyone really knows the answer, I really think it is done with a keyboard/synth. If the keyboardist is'nt playing the part I'm guessing it is going thru a full synth setup.

4. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I was waiting to reply until I could go find the tape (it was right there under my box of 8-tracks!) at home to listen to it. I'm betting keyboard bass, with Lee playing his bass on the video only for appearances. Maaaaaaaybe a midi-bass setup, but I don't know if he was into that sort of thing back then.

5. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    to me, it also sounds like a keyboard bass.
    live probably they had a real bassist for "the looks".
    having a band with lots of people around looks cool, especially if the members are "famous".

6. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Thanks for the replies guys, the thing is I know the original recording was done on a moog synth however having seen 2 different live versions (on TV) of the same song the bass sound is a little different it has a harder attack, yeah I reckon there maybe some midi tracking going on but as regards having the bassists just standing there looking good..Nathan East plays the song markedly different from Lee Sklar live (ie he adds a few extra fills to the main riff) but that sound is still the same.

cheers,