Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by psi, Jul 6, 2005.

1. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Is there such thing as a bass sustain pedal? Basically going for a keyboard-like bass sound with never-ending sustain until I mute the note, lol. It sounds more ridiculous now that I typed it out, but is there anything close? Distortion is acceptable for me in this case. Can anyone make any recommendations?

2. Jimbo

Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i don't know about a pedal but for endless sustain and a boatload of other uses check out an ebow. i love mine

www.ebow.com

-jimbo

3. I use the Boss CS-3 and it works great for sustaining notes. Basically if you want good sustain buy a compressor, combine that with a good OD or fuzz and you can leave an E note hang and go take a beer break if you want. Being that comression/sustain have nothing to do with frequency you will not have to buy a "bass" specific unit.
    :cool:

http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/CS-3/brochures.html

4. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    the boss syb-5 has a hold function whereby you will be playing along and then step on the pedal and hold it down. the note will sound until your take ur foot off the pedal. its cool, but remember its a synthesizer.

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The ME-50B has this function with the expression pedal. Play a note, hold down the pedal, and it holds it until you raise the pedal. Its great because if for example, the whole song is in E, then you can just leave an E sustaining away there for the whole song. Great :)

6. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    How about an e-bow?

7. See post#2 above. :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    As noted above, compression is your best bet for usable sustain. My Carl Martin compressor does an excellent job, although the settings for extra sustain aren't where you'd have them for "normal" playing.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The hold function on my Korg AX-1B does that just fine. I set it on a very short loop and when I press back the expression pedal the last note sustains for ever.
    Boss SYB-3 and 5 let you do that too. You can keep the note going while you play something else on top of it.

10. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    I had missed it :smug: