Sustain pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RETSAMPALS, Oct 18, 2000.

Sep 10, 2000
    hey guys
    ok i'd like to know what sustain pedals there are out there...liek which models and companies cuz i can't seem to find any of the floor processors have them?
    ok thanks...
  2. Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    So, Like why are you looking for a sustain pedal? The right bass or amp might be what you are looking for.

In fact, I would be darn sure that your bass was up to snuff before I spent any money on a battery eater myself. Do you have hot enough pickups? Are you using the right strings? Is your amp up to snuff? Are you using a good cable. What are you trying to accomplish?

Adding a box to the signal chain always has its draw backs. A sustain pedal will bring the levels of all the sounds going to the amp not just the ones you think you want to hear more of. A volume pedal might be what you are after.

I have the older model of Boss Compressor/Sustain. It is something that may do the trick, but it seems to me the more the other issues are ironed out (bass/amp/technique) the less I care about signal processing.

Search the many threads here on compressors as this is the family of product you are asking about ultimatly. Follow the links to Rane or other sites for details about what these do. Before you spend your hard earned cash.

Good luck

Sep 10, 2000
    i just want....sustain....y' the the pedal and the note stays...
    what does a compressor do?
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it's that simple on bass - if we're talking a synth/keyboard, then yes, you can have a pedal that will just make the note sustain indefinitely. Similarly if you had a midi link up, it would be easy to get the midi module to sustain indefinitely based on a pedal.

Compression/distortion can increase sustain, but not indefinitely - the note will die out at some point - and at the price of degrading the signal. Feedback can do it, but is unpleasant to the ears and hard to control.

The closest to what you are decribing can be achieved not with a pedal, but with the E-Bow; something you use instead of your normal right hand technique, over the strings. electronically stimulating/ "bowing" the individual string. As far as I know this is the only option for indefinite sustain without degrading the sound.

Sep 10, 2000
    where do you get those?
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Ther are quite a few shops in the UK that sell them, but I have no idea where in the US or elsewhere. I would suggest doing a search on the internet or any online retailer you normally look at, under "accessories".
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
  8. I'd like to try out a Fulltone Fatboost... it should increase sustain.
  9. ive seen a guitar sustain pedal in a 2nd hand shop. brand ?????
  10. This is an old thread I dug up after doing a search on sustain pedals...
    So, is R.E.M.'s bass player using an Ebow on "Imitation of Life" do you think? What about Radiohead in that one song (maybe track 4?) on OK Computer? I can't remember the title. I want to replicate those sounds...anyone?
  11. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Boss syb-3 (Bass synth). I was never a keen advocate of this product until I found out you can press on the pedal and it holds the note 'till you release. AND you can play underneath :D

You could probably set it to a fiirly neutral setting to just get sustain.

I recommend it reservedly though. It IS digital (shiver), and it seems a lot to pay out simply for this function but if you want it in a stompbox, this has got it. I wasn't a fan of this box (I have one on loan) but this feature is Way Cool dude! :cool:
  12. much as I hate to admit it the Boss being digital (shiver:D ) and all...I might have to get it just for that feature alone. Mohawk; is it like a loop thing so you can hear the "hiccup" from where the sample starts or is it just like a continuous note thing with no break in the sound?
  13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    OK, track 4 on OKC is Exit Music... that's a fuzz.
  14. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    Nope, a continuous note. If you set the "filter" to slow decay, play a note then press and hold the pedal the filter sweep will continue untill it reaches its lowest point then just infinately sustain until you let go!!! Cool huh! you can mix the wet and dry voices with a double pot so that you can then play underneath! This doesn't turn the pedal off, the led flashes whilst you have your foot down to let you know it's engaged. When you let go the pedal remains on so with a little co-ordination the terrible tracking need not be a problem! It's great for laying down a pedal tone which you can play really defined modal stuff under without the need for a guitar to complete the sound. Or just great to provide a "WHUMMM WHUMMM" underneath the guitar if you run it through a phaser f'r'instance!
  15. This thread is ancient but sustaining a note seems like an awesome idea. Can the SYB-3 really do this? If it's possible are there any other effects that can do this?
  16. Well, it won't do it to your clean (direct) signal, but the Boss SYB-3 and SYB-5, as well as the Behringer clone of it (BSY-600) will all do this to the wet synth note. Just hit a note and hold the stomp pedal down, and it will drone on as long as you hold it. Also, the Boss DF-2 Feedbacker will do this as well, although that is a distortion pedal rather than a synth. Behringer makes a clone of that, too.
  17. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Pigtronix Attack-Decay claims to do this; it's a compressor which can give a great deal of sustain (not infinite though) as long as you don't mind your signal being squashed.
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    The gliss mode on the HOG does this as well, but again, only to the affected note. There are delay functions in many pedals/multieffects that will let you set the feedback for 100% and then use an expression pedal or control pedal to turn the delay off, so you can play over the sustained note. The delays on those are typically short enough to where you can make it sound like single parts being sustained rather than a constantly echoing delay part. I heard Michael Manring use this to great effect last week using an old GT-3; during one song, he used it to play over a droning chord, and later in the same song did it with a repeating step phaser pattern.
  19. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Sustainiac Model C. Big 'ole box clamped to your headstock. Saw a bassist in the 90's use one on a Hohner beatle bass to play all manner of awesome guitar parts, including Stairway to Heaven, while a tuba player covered the bass lines. Fun stuff, with sustain forever apparently.
  20. totallybacan

Mar 30, 2009