Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain Problem on Fretless Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RunngDog, Dec 21, 2004.

1. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I've been trying out a new fretless, and I noticed today that there seems to be an area around the 4th and 5th fret on the G string where there is almost no sustain at all -- pluck the string and it sounds almost as if it had been muted.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing this and how it might be fixed?

2. I'd guess it is a bolt-on, right? Frets or no frets, a lot of bolt-ons have a dead spot there. It is the nature of the beast.

3. squierplayer120

squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Wisconsin
    That never happened with my axe....hmm.

4. RunngDog

RunngDog

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks, lonote. I've never had a (noticeable) dead spot on a bass before, but based on looking at some old TB threads, that's clearly what this is. Yes, it's a bolt-on Fender Jazz -- and from what I gather, the 5th fret on the G is pretty much the location for dead spots on a Fender.

I'll try messing around with different strings and/or try out a Fat Finger -- if neither of those solutions work, I'll probably just get rid of the bass. I really can't stand that muted deadspot sound.

5. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I love the Music Man 4 strings but never got one because many of them have a dead spot around F on the G string.

6. Play the 9/10 "fret" on the D string. It's not that far.