1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sustain question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Sep 29, 2009.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I'm guessing a compressor, but I'm not sure...

how would one achieve a fairly long amount of sustain. The best example I can think of off the top of my head would be hitting a big chord, distorted and having it hold for a long while, almost like an infinite drone if that makes sense?

Thanks.

2. If it's ok for the the tone to be fuzzy or distorted then Big Muff style fuzzes will add a lot of sustain. They will add a lot more than a compressor.

3. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    +1

My supercollider can sustain my bass to the point of feedback if I crack it up. If you like distortion, it is probably the way to go here. Even a low gain OD will add to your sustain with trhe right settings.

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Anything with a big enough gain stage will increase sustain.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Well, I've got the HBE Hematoma for OD and it has some sustain on it and sounds great.

Fuzz's would be a bit better on the sustain side?

I'm also thinking about ways to manipulate the sound. Sorts of knob twtittling if you will?

6. JMDT

JMDT

Jan 30, 2008
    Louisville, Ky
    Absolutely. Big muff's especially. Check out a Way Huge Swollen Pickle or an Earthbound Audio Supercollider.

7. j_nition

j_nition

Jul 28, 2009
    Clean sustain?

-e-bow
    -compressor with the threshold low and the ration very high
    -hold function from a delay pedal

8. Turn up your amp and stand closer to it. :bassist:

A compressor works, kind of, but it's a long way from "infinite" and can also result in a lot of noise. You're likely to be under whelmed.

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    Cool. Thanks everyone for the input!