Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain... What Gives?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SamHD, Feb 3, 2005.

1. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Hello, I'm somewhat of an amateur bass player, and not up with all the terminology here, so please be nice :crying:

I play an Ernie Ball Stingray 4 through an Ampeg Amp and Ampeg cabinet. I've been playing a few songs with a few buddies, but I found that my notes were "dieing-out" before ready I was ready to switch note.

Maybe some new strings will help, but I think I actually need something extra.

I'm confused about the words Sustain and Compression. Basically, I think I need a pedal that will solve the problem, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
    Sam

2. This should really be in setup as your action might be too low, so your notes are choking on the frets. If it sounds "buzzy" when you play unplugged, you'll need to re-set your bass up. this info can be found in the setup part of talkbass.

If you do a search on here, you can find out all the ins and outs about compression.

Hope this helps

3. well, a compressor will certainly help, but it sounds like you you've got a problem with dead notes and/or too low of action, which would be a setup-related problem, like fenderbassabuse stated.

4. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thanks for the help. The action could probably use some tweaking. I would have never though of that.

Two out of two replies say look at the action, then I'm going to believe I need to look into that :D

Thanks again!

Sam

5. Just a word of warning; if your truss rod needs some adjustment, do a quarter of a turn a day only. The bridge is not a prob, do as much as you like, but slacken your stings first...

Thats what happened with my jazz, raised the action, and melted the wall of marshall I play with...My bass sung!

6. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Thank you. That is good advice. I think I'll start with the bridge first. I'm not getting much buzzing at this point when not plugged-in (maybe just a little), so I think maybe a new set of strings and raising the bridge a little might do it.

If not, I'll use the truss-rod adjustment technique you mentioned.

7. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Change your strings before you do anything. After that, while you're checking your action, check your pickup height also. MM pickups are powerful, and if the pickup is too close to the strings, the magnetic pull could be interfering with the strings ability to vibrate.

8. SamHD

SamHD

Nov 22, 2004
    Yes, thanks tritone. I've noticed that my pickup also gradually keep moving up (towards the strings), an next thing I know, the strings (Mainly the D an G) ends up actually touching the pickup. At that point, I tighten the pickup down, but it will eventually loosen back up...

Do I need a touch of glue on the screws??

9. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Thanks you guys, glad to help! Actually, if your PUP keeps popping up like that, I would suspect maybe the screw holes are a little large for the screws or that the screws themselves are stripped. Before you start plopping glue or anything inside there, you might want to take it to a repair shop to have it looked at.

Hopefully this'll get bumped over to "set-up" soon, because there are some really sharp techs over there that could probably help you out.

Good luck!