Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zon Bass, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I was just messing around with my Zon and timed my B string at nearly 1 and a half minutes. So if you want sustain go for this bass it is great.

2. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i once timed the B on my thumb NT 5 and it was right around there too.

i can't imagine NOT having a bass that sustained forever.

jason

3. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    How do you gauge the sustain? From the pluck to silence?

I think it would be difficult to compare the sustain of basses because it depends on so many factors (bass volume, amp volume, strings, pluck force, amp, cab, weather, etc.).

4. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    I have a Zon Legacy Elite 5 & a Dingwall Prima 5 and I think IMHO the Ding's B annihilates (almost) the Zons B. The sustain between both of them is fairly equal (the Dingwall resonates for days also) I give the Zon the disadvantage due to scale length. They both have ultra-stable necks & premium choice body woods & electronics(both strung with same type strings) they are totally different beast. The Zon has more cutting ability & ultimately the "Sonic" advantage as far as versatility(w/piezos) BUT live the Dingwall is PURE BRUTALITY on your hands & the crowds sternums & cerebellum's for ultimate impact in the Hz department with sustain to boot. If you want infinite sustain use distortion or and an e-bow, or have Fernandes build you a custom sustainer bass(but you are forced to use light gauge strings, won't work on heavy) to claim "THE KING OF SUSTAIN TITLE"...

with darkest regards,
    BELIAL

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Both my Modulus Q5 and my Peavey Cirrus 5 have great sustain. Never quite saw any reason to time them, though.

6. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    But from a practical point of view, do we ever play such long sustaining notes during a performance? Just an honest question. I feel having a great tone is more important.

7. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    One may not hold a note for a minute and a half, but they might hold a note for half a minute of fifteen seconds. Remember, a minute and a half is just the time it takes to go silent. In a band situation, you will only be able to hear a fraction of that.

8. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I've had notes up around the twelfth fret sustain literally until I stopped 'em.

9. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Probably not. But, it shows that when the note is sustained for a shorter time, that you won't have aas much decay as say, a bass that doesn't sustain as well.

I did this trick once and timed harmonics on the 6th fret on my bass (Zon) it was for a long time, although I can't remember the length of time.

-pd

10. I once reached infinite sustain with my squier p. im not sure but i think i found the resonant frequency of that room ( only worked there ). Actually it even became louder for the first 30 seconds.

11. Nice to see another with a Dingwall. There aren't many out there. Myself, I have a Z2 5-String which has the sandwiched barts and only the top is figured maple (if you have a top and back on it).

Good stuff.

Geoff

12. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Dingz2,

I've been meaning to talk to fellow Dingwaller's. Our #'s are quite low. My Prima is one of Sheldons earlier ones from the original factory(R.I.P.) dating according to The Man around '96. He said he had used mine in a NAMM show after finishing it as one of his "showgirls". I purchased it at N.J Bass & Guitar in '99. Mine has a quilted top & back to kill for with an amberish/clear finish w/walnut/padauk core. Jay has another Ding 5, it's a Zebra & also beautiful (732-225-4444). Hopefully soon I can post some pics of my arsenal, I saw a pic of yours & was impressed. BTW, how do those 18v electronics compare to the 9v units, I know your pups have a definite difference than mine sound wise. Sorry for rambling off the topic TB'ers. "The Dingwalls B is the voice of God " or Satan...

ciao,
    Belial

13. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Hey Dingz2,

I've been meaning to talk to fellow Dingwaller's. Our #'s are quite low. My Prima is one of Sheldons earlier ones from the original factory(R.I.P.) dating according to The Man around '96. He said he had used mine in a NAMM show after finishing it as one of his "showgirls". I purchased it at N.J Bass & Guitar in '99. Mine has a quilted top & back to kill for with a clear finish w/walnut/padauk core. Jay has another Ding 5, it's a Zebra & also beautiful (732-225-4444). Hopefully soon I can post some pics of my arsenal, I saw a pic of yours & was impressed. BTW, how do those 18v electronics compare to the 9v units, I know your pups have a definite difference than mine sound wise. Sorry for rambling off the topic TB'ers. "The Dingwalls B is the voice of God " or Satan...

ciao,
    Belial

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Someone tell Jimi, feedback has finally been invented! :)

Quantifying sustain would be not straightforward. You could time until the envelope decayed to 10% or something of the peak, but the peak on a plucked bass note is so high - you'd need to smooth it a bit.

Also, which harmonics sustain? Most basses the fundamental doesn't last nearly as long as the middle harmonics.

15. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Sorry all! I didn't mean to post it twice, I tried to edit out "amber" & re-submit it but it was too late...

condolences,
    Satan

16. My Dingwall is a 2000 model. The colour is triple purpleburst. It is a quilted maple top with a dual density lightweight ash body. I actually have the 9V electronics in my Dingwall. I actually think that Sheldon has stopped using the 9V electrinics now, as they don't appear on his pricelist. My SN is simply 3305. I will be able to tell you how the 18V electronics sound in about 5 months or so, as my Prima 6 should be done then. It will be unbelievable, to me anyway. My guess is that the main difference is headroom. I believe that the 18V preamp has 6dB more headroom than the 9V preamp. I am not sure if there are any tonal differences though.

Geoff

17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Want some serious sustain?

Get an e-Bow... or a synth;)

Otherwise "usable" sustain is a fairly nebulous thing. Personally I have basses that sustain long enough for me to get bored with the note and some that only sustain for 30 seconds or so. I like them all.

18. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Of course, you holding the ebow limits your right hand for doing other things. Personally, I can never get bored of "that sound."

-pd

19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    That's why I invented the wrist-mount for the e-Bow;)

What's up, pd?

20. I don't quite understand what you are trying to say