Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sustain

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rafterman, Mar 14, 2002.

1. there is a lack of sustain on one spot on my fretboard. It's an L-2000.

Teh 3rd fret E string (low G)...dies pretty fast...i'm positive it's not a deadspot.

What's wrong?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sounds like a dead spot to me. Why are you positive it's not?

Moved to setup, where you should have more luck with it.

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    It's a little unusual to have a deadspot in that area, but it probably is one.

Another thing would be if that note rattles or buzzes too, then I'd recommend a fretjob, cause then you probably have a high fret @ the 4th or 5th fret position.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Put the end of the headstock against a wall and pluck the note. If the note then sustains, there is a dead spot.

I agree with JMX. That's an odd place to find a dead spot.

Look very closely at the string where it contacts the fret. If there is a dent in the string, that may be the prob. I would suspect the string first.

Pkr2

5. i had the exact same problem and all i had to do was intonate it.... turns our its was ULTRA sharp...... like 40-80cents sharp or something like it i dont remember now but then the prob went away

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Intonation has no effect on sustain or dead spots.

I would definitely suspect a high fret, because I've NEVER encountered a dead spot in that area of the bass. High frets are much more common. It'd be worth going to a luthier and just getting the frets recrowned.

7. Two things: First, I don't find it totally amazing that there's a dead spot there - it IS in the same fret position as the more common ones - just on the opposite side. Second - how about the possiblity of a loose fret? If a fret was seated in high a tight fret slot, I don't see why that would cause a dead string. If, however, the fret slot were a little wider on that side and the fret didn't seat well or could move side to side (microscopically) then the energy would be absorbed moving the fret.

Pkr2 is right, as usual, about the test. At least you can eliminate some possibilities this way.