Sustainer pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NioeZero, Sep 2, 2001.

1. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Howdy all.

I'm looking for a sustainer pickup, exactly what Fernandes puts in their six and seven-string guitars, except sized for a bass guitar's wider string spacing. Fernandes does not offer a sustainer system for bass, but I know it exists.

Does anyone have any info on this?
    Websites, schematics, ideas, anything?

Thanks in advance.
  2. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Apparently Fernandes used to make a prototype sustainer unit for bass - Peter, the bassist from Type O Negative, has one installed on his Fernandes custom bass - however, Fernandes does not make these for bass anymore. I would contact Fernandes directly to get more details.
  3. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Sorry to drag this back up, but...

Fernandes has been no help at all. They havent returned any emails, their site has no info... Sending a snailmail tomorrow, but until a reply is had....

I was thinking of taking the Sustainer system out of a trashed guitar (maybe buying just the PUP, Fernandes sells them as a single unit) and putting it in my bass. I checked the spacing, and a six string guitar PUP *should* fit the spacing on my four string bass.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the ability of the Sustainer to drive the heavier strings. I might have to switch to lighter strings, but thats no real problem.

Has anyone actually used a Sustainer-equipped guitar? If so, can you think of anything I might need to look into when installing the PUP? I'm going nuts here, any info would be a tremendous help.
  4. Wicked7Shark

Wicked7Shark Guest

Jun 1, 2001
    lawton ok
  5. NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001

Thank you, Wicked! That's exactly what I was looking for. They have all the necessary info, and they actually make a BASS model.

I owe you one.