Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SUV's

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by kserg, Aug 3, 2004.

1. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    What’s the point of 2wd SUV... I don't understand why people ever want off-road vehicle with out 4wd:/ can someone explain that to me?

I might be getting one soon... but I still don't get it:/
    :/

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Whats the point of an off-road vehicle being driven in the middle of the city?

Whats the point of buying a vehicle with terrible gas mileage (sp?) when gas prices are through the roof and the gas supply is running low?

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    ...and buying a vehicle you "feel" is safe, when in fact it's not only dangerous to you but also to others around you?

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Answering question with question... you evil one

But that’s my point... if I buy SUV I will take it off road... there for I need 4wd! But what’s the point of 2wd...

I am not getting huge one... (prob gand cherokee)

I like off-roading and I also need something to carry gear in hehe...

Still... I am pissed of seeing 2wd SUVs for sale... waste of my reading skills:(

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Well if you are actually going to off-road it then its understandable, but if its for gear hauling purposes there are lots of alternatives that will save you money in the short run and in the long run with gas prices and such. A lot of SUVs Ive seen dont really hold that much more gear than most standard mid sized cars because of the way they are set up on the inside.

6. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    I do own a 4WD and do go off road, but for people that need to tow a trailer and will never see snow or go off road 2WD is the way to go.

1. They're much cheaper than 4wd
    2. In many cases a 2wd can tow more than 4WD
    3. Better gas mileage - less weight
    4. Less things to go wrong - no transfer case, no front axle, etc
    5. If you get a 2wd and want to off road. Build a pre-runners those are some bad a$$ trucks.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    get a jeep! :hyper:

8. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    ya... maybe it is a bad idea... all the wagons and cars that can be used for gear and mostly fwd though... i hate fwd...

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    people want to look important and big.

I want a ford bronco. I have no idea if it is a truck or SUV.

10. My brother-in-law drives Chevy Suburbans in the 2wd version. He wants the Suburban for its hauling capabilities as he is in the construction business, but sees no need for 4wd's because he travels primarily in a big city environment. I'm also in the construction business and need vehicles that can haul loads and I've used pickups and large vans for my purpose. I've had 4wd in the past and appreciated them. All my vehicles are currently 2wd, but if I were to get a SUV (or forget the Sport part, just let me have a UV), I would probably get the 4wd version. I work and travel a great deal in rural areas that have long windy winters with plenty of heavy drifting snow. 4wd really helps out in our winter conditions. One problem I see with 4wd, though, is many drivers' overconfidence and their not knowing the equipment. I hear people all the time commenting on how they can drive faster because they have 4wd. It's still four tires on the pavement that have to be handled and stopped in the same adverse conditions as the 2wd's. In fact, the extra drag on the front end can actually work against you when trying to cruise down the highway in 4wd on ice and snow. I've used 4wd for pulling myself out of tough situations at slow speeds, not for highway cruising. These are not comments for or against 4wd. Just use what's appropriate for your purpose and conditions.

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually, the concept isn't too difficult. It's very similar to the answer to "Why do you need more than one bass?" or "Why do you need a 6 string bass?" or "Why do you need another effects pedal?" It's all in how you use it.

Most SUVs are rear wheel drive (RWD) based, but a growing number are front wheel drive based (FWD). RWD based SUVs tend to have a high instance of people ordering 4WD or AWD because it dramatically improves traction in bad weather, such as snow or driving rain. FWD based SUVs can pretty much get away without AWD or 4WD except in the more extreme weather conditions like winter in Green Bay or Buffalo. Having most of the weight above the wheels that steer and provide most of the traction makes FWD SUVs very capable in most driving situations. A lot of the newer more popular SUVs like Chevy Equinox, Lexus RX330, Saturn VUE, Honda Element, Honda Pilot, and Toyota Highlander are FWD based, so 2WD works just fine for most people.

SUVs are as much about hauling people and stuff as they are about off-roading and towing. I believe that most people who buy small and mid sized SUVs buy them because they are so flexible for just about anything you need to do. They carry more people and stuff than a car. They ride better and get better mileage than big pickup trucks, and they're comfortable.

What you are going to find more interesting is the newly evolving trend of "drivers'" cars going back to RWD and adding AWD as an option. In sporty or performance driving situations, RWD is widely preferred. Adding AWD can further improve performance, while also adding a degree of safety and bad weather driveability.

The new Cadillac STS that is replacing the FWD Seville will be RWD with optional AWD.

Hope that helped.

Peace,

James

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    cause stupid soccer moms need that illusion of safety.

I think that owning a big SUV of any sort should be an extra $1000 a year in car taxes for you unless you actually need the thing.

13. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

And what would one need to do to prove a need? While you're answering that, please also answer how one would need to qualify to drive...

• A convertible
    • Any sports car that only has two seats
    • Any car that has more than 200 hp (anything more is socially irresponsible)
    • Cars that require premium fuel

My point is when we get to the point of people having to justify their choices based on our standards, you start to tread in the realm of the ridiculous.

My boss and his wife have 5 kids under the age of 8. They need a vehicle capable of carrying all of them plus whatever stuff they have to carry. An SUV or minivan that seats 7 does that better than anything else. I'd like to see somebody tell him he needs to pay an extra tax for that. By the way, three of the kids were adopted from situations where they would have certainly died had he and his wife not stepped in and adopted them. Of course, that doesn't excuse the fact that he's an energy wasting capitalist :rolleyes:

Peace,

James

14. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    grand cherokee is a jeep:) unless you mean real jeep... then where does the gear go:)

Edit... only problem with grand cherokee... i dislike auto:p

Ok ya... i can see the work part... but hmm for work people usually get trucks:/ i can see 2wd trucks

-edit-
    but see...its slightly different... you actually play bass.. its like if someone never played bass but played drums all his life gets a bass and has it seating in closet... i would not understand that.

15. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Depends on where you live and how you use it. The touchy thing (my opinion and experience) is that there is a BIG difference in the handling and braking characteristics of pickup trucks.

Each truck handles and brakes a lot different when it's carrying a load than it does when the bed is empty. If the bed is empty, there's little weight over the real wheels and you can get some serious wheel hop in cornering manuevers. Panic braking can result in the rear brakes locking up faster than the front and inducing sideways sliding. On the other hand, if the manufacturer lightens up on the braking pressures in the rear to balance for empty payloads, stopping distances tend to increase significantly when they are carrying a load.

Bottom line, it is very difficult to calibrate the braking and handling of a 2WD pickup simply because of the differences in loaded and unloaded conditions. AWD helps even this out. So does an SUV configuration.

Peace,

James

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    You're right. That's why I included an effects pedal in my examples. How many bass players have effects pedals they rarely use? I know I have a couple. Thought I would need them, but I don't. There are a lot of people who have SUVs that don't need them. I just like to point out that different people have different reasons for needing them. It ain't all about off-roadin' and towin'. SUVs have replaced station wagons in North America.

Peace,

James

17. There's no need for 4wd cause that's only useful in snow and that rarely happens. Not worth the mileage hit.

So, why do people like myself drive SUVs? (I drive a 2004 explorer xlt sport) Well, for one thing it's a beautiful piece of machinery. It looks much better than most other vehicles on the road. Everyone sees it and is like "wow." It also holds up to 8 people, and I use that feature often. It holds all my gear, and holds peopel at the same time. Hassle and struggle to fit things in is minimal when compared to say, a car. Minivans just aren't cool anymore. Also, it's safer; not to others around me, but to me, and that's my priority. The world works best if everyone who has the ability to look out for him/herself does so, then it's noone else's burden. Did I mention that it's a sexy beast? It really does look nice. It's just so much cooler than those crappy hondas and toyotas everyone drives. And just for reference, no, blue lights, fuzz, weird engine noises, "rims", and duct-taped on spoilers are NOT COOL.

18. My ex drives a 2WD SUV in FL:

no need for AWD or 4WD in FL
    decreases purchase price
    one less thing to go wrong
    SUV has third row good for carpooling and sons' friends

BTW, I live here in Tahoe and have pulled it off in my RWD BMW coupe with 18" rims: all hail to the Blizzak Tire!!

19. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    :scowl:

Yes, let's tax everything that anyone doesn't need. Underwear is first on the list.

brad cook

20. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    In Australia there was a proposal (not sure what happened to it) to require drivers of SUV's to require an endorsement on their license. Sort of like getting a motorbike license or a truck license.

The endorsement would include passing a number of driving and theory tests that are designed specifically for the different handling characteristics of an SUV.

I think its a great idea as there are a lot of poor SUV drivers who don't appreciate how much room their vehicle takes up and just how big their blind spots are! (especically living inner city).

I also support differential registration fees (read car tax) based on engine size like in the UK / Europe.