Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Suzy Quatro

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 21, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    When people talk about female bassists, Suzy Quatro's name hardly ever (make that never) comes up. I'm thinking of trying to find some of her albums, but I'd like to know a couple things first:

1 - What was her bass playing like?

2 - Most importantly, what was her music like?

If anyone could recommend a recording or something, that would be appreciated too. I just want to know if it's a wothwhile endeavor.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Very basic three chord Rock n' Roll(if memory serves me).
    I saw her years ago...man, she's a little thing; I think she was playing a Ripper or Grabber bass.
    ...remember when she became a semi-regular on the TV show, HAPPY DAYS?

3. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks for the info, Jim.

Sorry, I didn't come back to the U.S. until 1994, so I missed Happy Days...

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

4. I was just thinking of Suzi the other day... and I would like to pick up perhaps a "best of" type of cd to get re-aquainted with her stuff, which as is pointed out above, very bsic three chord rock n roll.
    But historically that's what has gotten the crowds out on the dance floor........

Thx for bringing her up [​IMG]

5. I was just thinking, it's kind of appropriate that Suzy Quatro would play bass, after all, Quatro is Spanish for "four" (strings).

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Portuguese too, Dave.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

7. Yeah, Will, it's funny, that's kind of what made me think of it. The people that sit around me at work are speaking both Spanish and Portugese, and one of them said "quatro," and I thought "Suzy!"

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I can offer a little, but Bruce Lindfield might be a better source. She really hit big in England first, long before she was known here. I was an avid reader of Melody Maker, and I remember lots of press on her. Actually, I still have one in my junk, and she's on the entire back cover. I'm going to guess that "Devil's Gate Drive" would be a good starting place. I would describe her as a pre-Joan Jett kind of slam-bam rock. She appeared in one of the later Absolutely Fabulous shows doing DGD

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You mean the episode in which Patsy has the plastic surgery, THAT'S HER????

I have all Ab Fab episodes, as well as the complete Black Adder.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

10. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    BigWheel, I'm pretty sure. Check the credits. LOL, you've had a video of her all this time and didn't know it!
    ..and Black Adder is one of my all-time favorite shows. I've got a couple videos.

p.s. - my wife has one of her albums; I could make a tape for you if you like.

[This message has been edited by gweimer (edited July 28, 2000).]

11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    gw, I might have seen her name in the credits and not really registered it because I wasn't curious about her at the time, although I always wondered who the broad with the bass guitar was. I guess I should pay closer attention. I always watch three episodes (one tape) at a time.

As for the tape, You don't have to go through all that trouble. Thanks though.

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    -BW

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gweimer:
    I can offer a little, but Bruce Lindfield might be a better source. She really hit big in England first, long before she was known here. I was an avid reader of Melody Maker, and I remember lots of press on her. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm..she was very big in the UK at one point, but I must say that she got bracketed in with all the joke "non-musical" bands like Gary Glitter, Sweet, Slade etc - around the time of "Glam-Rock" and this was exactly the sort of thing I hated at the time!

This stuff was in the charts, but all my friends were listening to Led Zep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath etc (who didn't even release singles - sell-out!)and this was the antithesis of the chart stuff. I never read Melody Maker - it was always NME (New Musical Express) and it would have been social sucicide to admit liking Suzi Quatro [​IMG] But I was only, like 14!

The only people who confessed to liking Suzi Quatro were dirty old men who had a fetish about girls in leather jumpsuits. [​IMG]

13. I think she was more of an "image" than a musician, similar to T-Rex, Gary Glitter, and the majority in the early 70's Brit glam movement. I was only impressed with her tight leather pants!

14. Bruce Lindfield

You just ressurrected a thread that had lain dormant for over 4 Years!!!

Talk about flogging a dead horse!! ;)

And did you actually read my post from 4 years ago!! :meh:

15. Oooops, wrong page. She still is cute!

16. Bruce Lindfield

Are you actually reading any of these posts? :confused:

17. One of the radio stations here in Wellington plays her duet with Chris Norman (formerly in "Smokie") quite regularly; "Stumblin' In". Man, I hate it!

I really liked her song "Mama's Boy" a lot when I was 8 years old. She was using B.C. Rich basses back then. "She's In Love With You" was a good song, too. But I can't stand her very early, more "shouty" stuff, like "Can The Can".

My brother, who's 14 years older than me, used to have a gigantic poster of her in his room. That must've been around 1975. :)

18. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Jul 11, 2008
    I was partial to "Your Mama Won't Like Me"; big hit at the teen dances in our little market back around '74.

A big phtuii to whoever it was earlier in the thread (years ago?) who was hating on T Rex and the Sweet; Electric Warrior is still on heavy rotation at my digs. If Nickleback and all the number the number bands (sum, blink, three doors, matchbox) are the alternatives, gimme "Ballroom Blitz" and "Little Willy" anytime!

19. Twice resurrected after 4 years.
    THE ZOMBIE THREAD!!!
    On topic, leather jumpsuits & BC Rich's in the 70s- what's not to like? :cool:

20. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm sure I'll find a few others that I'll be throwing my cents worth in (worth very penny!)