Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Sven Pipien (The Black Crowes newest bassist)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by James Hart, Oct 9, 2005.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Man, I'm sitting here listening to a live show recorded on May 1st, 2005 @ the Norva in Norfolk, VA (Had the files since the summer and forgot... check www.archive.org the Crowes have a very open taping policy!)

Man does he sound good!!! I've always dug the brothers Robinson and thier flavor... but I'm REALLY digging them now!

Anyone else know of Sven Pipien? Anything else he's on I should check out?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Anyone?

here is a shot from recent show
    [​IMG]

3. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    what happened to gary zrab? i thought he was playing with them

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    He was replaced (no clue why) just before they split up... Sven was brought back when they reunited.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    It's Greg Rzab. He used to play for Buddy Guy for many years and was a once owner of one of Jaco's Basses (and a pair of Chuck-T Converses of his as well)... Not sure if he picked up another gig after the Crowes.

6. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    That picture looks like the show I went to.

Saw 'em at Mud Island in Memphis and they rocked. The bassist was extremely good, I've been trying to find out who it was ever since.

Looked like he was playing a Sadowsky, regardless he sounded awesome!

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    They have very good taste in bassist, they had both Greg Rzab and Andy Hess do stints in the band.......both went on to tour with Gov't Mule, and Andy Hess got the permanent gig with the Mule :bassist: I really dig both bassist, especially Andy Hess......great groover with Scofield etc.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I saw the BC's here in Dallas about a month ago. They put on a really good show. Glad to see that there are some bands out there who still know what the term "jam" means. The bass player was really tight and locked in well with the drummer. He really didn't move much but he definately stayed in the groove quite nicely. I really couldn't hear much of his tone, didn't seem to cut through very much.

9. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    Just wanted to bump this up after seeing Rich Robinson on tour last night with Sven still playing bass. The band was rounded out with Joe Magistro on drums who sang some really accomplished harmony vocals while reminding me a great deal of Mitch Mitchell in his drumming. Matt Slocum was on organ and keys with Nico Bereciartua on rhythm guitar.

Now, when it comes to Sven he was phenomenal with note placement as well as note runs being very tasteful. Note-wise he was a great compliment to the tunes and player in the band.

One thing I found funny about his playing right hand technique though was that he stroked with index and middle alternating fingers directly down toward the body. It had the effect of producing a TON of popping. Mind you - this was not due to the PA as his rig was oversized for the venue and it was very audible right from his aguilar cab. Now, it wasn't very pronounced to anyone other than fellow bassists while he had a 70s style P bass through most of the songs. But, when he pulled out a jazz bass it was god awful tone to be honest. The deep low end that had been breaking up on the top end of the notes and covering this seemingly bad technique was all the more enhanced.
    I just couldn't believe my ears really. Now, I am not coming from any other stand--point other than being just bewildered at how someone so affluent at theory, southern rock catelog and note structure could be so egregiously lax in right hand technique. It was just weird.

To clarify, if you have ever heard a solo'd bass track of Geezer Butler's then you're about halfway there. It was a weird attack and he stayed planted right between the neck where it mounted to the body and the P pick-up.
    Just wondering if anyone else has seen stupendous players first hand and experienced odd technique. That's all..

Enjoyed the show immensely none the less..

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I saw them a while back and he played bass for them, had a Sadowsky. He sounded good.

11. Sven's tone is killer on the "Live at the Greek" album they did with Jimmy Page.

12. As far as I know he's been playing with Mayall for many years now.

13. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    you do realize my post was from 11 years ago, right?

James Hart likes this.
  14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    If you mention that he has been playing with Mayall for a few years now, and you are quoting a post from 11 years ago... Isn't the point moot?

15. not if you're talking in the present moment. besides, a resurrected thread becomes a current thread, no?

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Ding ding ding, you have won a prize! ;) congrats.