Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-BSP question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Feb 26, 2005.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok, I've looked through older threads but no one really seems to0 interested in this pre. Is it just a mediocre pre? I really dig the tones on basstasters, but no one really seems to be t0o hot on it here. I couldn't find enough good or bad reviews to really made an assessment.

The nearest Ampeg dealer to me is over 150 miles away and they don't carry anything else i'm really looking at right now, so I don't want to make a trip that could turn out to be a waste to just test the thing.

So, what is the word on the svp-bsp. Is it worth the money or should I just go with a bmax or rbi.

My sound..... I like HI-FI but I also like to get things dirty(thats why this amp seems appealing to me) I'll be looking to run this through a schroeder in the future and plan on getting an MTD down the line to go with. I play everything I can(musically) currently I'm in a hard rock group(you can hear on my link at the bottem) but my heart goes out to jazz and fusion type stuff. I'm one of the guys who likes doing lead lines on bass.

:help:

2. I have an SVP-Pro, and my experience with the BSP was that it is Jekyll and Hyde. The clean side uses the tube and is very clean, while the solid-state distorted side goes from moderately distorted to really super-saturated distortion. The two channels can also be blended.

3. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    The SVP-BSP is a pretty good preamp, it just lacks the real gritty tube sound that the SVP-Pro can deliver with it's four pre-amp tubes. You can get some grit with the distortion channel, but it is not the same as with tubes IMO. I think that most people just don't use the disortion channel enough to justify having this preamp. You could spend $300 less and get a good disortion pedal.

The other thing I found, is that the BSP like most of Ampegs gear,is a very quiet preamp volume wise. I think that there is mod that can fix this, but I am not sure.

I would love to have another one and use it through the effects loop of my Eden or BBE pre-amp.

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I had an SVP-Pro and favoured the -BSP over it. I just prefer to have clean tones as well, and the Pro just did't do that. Also, it was noisy. One thing I preferred about the -Pro was that it had a mid-freq selector. I got it cheaper than the -Pro (both used), and couldn't get my hands on other preamps. But IMO, it's not bad. It sounds quite alright.

5. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One more thing i like about it is that the two channels can be blended, so then there's a clean channel with a big, clean, room-filling bottom, and just a little overdrive on the top can make sound very different.
    The good thing about this compared to many other dist/od units (even some tube preamps) is that you still have a big bottom, which can get lost with others (or turn into something really muddy / unpleasantly distorted).

6. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Well, no one seems too excited about this preamp, but from it's features I think I'm gonna have to give it a try in the near future.

7. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I currently run one through a schroeder 3101212.

I've been using it for about 3 or so years. The only complaint I have is the 3 band eq on the clean channel, and if you want to run full gain with no blend on the dirty channel, byebye low end.

The tones coming from it never turn to unpleasant at almost any extreme setting, but I'm getting to the point that I want to just concentrate on an ultra clean huge full sound, so I've got my eyes on a Read Purity or something of the like. So I've considered selling the BSP.

Troll

8. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I usually don't get too excited about things, so I may've sounded a bit reserved.
    Maybe there are better preamps out there for that nice clean tone with a versatile od/fuzz/dist channel, but they surely cost a lot more. This is a very good preamp for it's price.
    Better now? ;)

9. SnoMan

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yes

:D