Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-BSP... would I dig?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yossarian, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    I'm looking into the whole pre/power situation. I had an Ampeg B-2R for a while and I LOVED the sound, so I'm wondering how the SVP-BSP compares to it in tone.

I play punk with a pick, aiming for a Strike Anywhere or Rise Against kind of sound... a bit mid-scooped with plenty of bottom and treble. Think this would do the trick?

2. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Anyone? Anyone at all?

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I have one, and I really like it. I dont know if it would work for you, but you can give it a try. Also, I've not had that head, so I cant compare, sorry. I did have an SVP-Pro, however, and favoured this over that (this is clean and not noisy, and also has some extra features)

Its a hybrid pre with one 12AX7 in the Gain section, and all SS from then on. The Clean channel is nice smooth and warm, but can be agressive, as well; somehow it has those nice tube harmonics; there's an Ultra-Low switch thats at 30 Hz, the Bass pot is at 40 Hz, so you can get it to sound very deep and have a big bottom if you play a 5 or 6 or more.
    However, I would've been happier if this channel had/also had the mid selector, as it is way more useful here.
    The distortion channel is a bit overdone. It has very heavy distortion, even too much without even pulling out the boost...
    A good thing is that you can blend the two channels - that way it will still have the bigger, clearer bottom the Clean channel has and the distorted mids, and you can cut through very well with it, while you still have a strong bass tone, as well.

4. Yossarian

Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    Virginia
    Thanks for responding!

Anyone know how it sounds compared to the B-2R? Also, It seems to have mostly the same features as the B-5R... does it sound the same?