Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-CL preamp + QSC PLX = SVT???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Badmuthaplucka, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Tucson, Az.
    I have a QSC PLX and I'm thinking about getting an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp

Has anyone directly compaired the Ampeg SVP-CL and power amp to the real thing?(Ampeg SVT all tube amp)

2. Aslan

Aslan

Sep 20, 2003
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I'm also interested in that!

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    I havent spent a lot of time with a svt but the svp-cl/amp will be tighter and harder to get a distortion tone out of. The svp-cl/amp will be more versatile as well. There are some great tones in there.

The svp-cl and qsc plx is a bad match as far as volume goes. The svt will be louder. They have a mod for both the pre and power amp to either increase the output on the pre or decrease the input sesitivity on the power amp. If volume is a concern, get one or both mods done. Jmo

4. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I think the days of worrying about the mod to the SVPCL are over. I ordered mine about a month ago and it has plenty of output. I love the tone I get out of mine. I think that since an SVT has a tube power section it would still sound somewhat different from the tube pre/ Solid state power amp. To my ears it's close enough.

5. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I run an svp-bsp into a plx. I can't say for sure if it sounds like an svt, never owned one. But it stays plenty warm while still getting a nice hi-fi vibe. But that could be the cabs too.

Troll

6. Now isn't this typical?

All I've played are the SVTs. Not once in my life have I personally plugged into a pre/power setup.

So I'm useless too.

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    The SVPCL is supposed to be the same as the pre in a 70s SVT where the SVTCL is not.

Even so, owning both, I can tell you the short answer is "no."

Amps do make a difference. Even from one SS to another (IMO - lots of disagreement on this one.) Certainly you can't replace 6 6L6's with transistors and get the same sound.

The SVPCL + Crest CA9 (my current fave setup) sounds great - and weighs about 30 lbs less than my SVTCL.

Bottom line? SVPCL/Power is not the exact same as SVTCL, but it sounds great nonetheless.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've said this before but it applies here: my faux SVT rig is a SansAmp RBI, Stewart 2.1, and Bergantino NV610.

If you're looking for the sound of the whole SVT stack, a sealed/tweeterless box of tens is the way to go. I like the NV610 because it's smaller and lighter than the Ampeg 8x10, but seems to have just as much kick.

I'm sure the Ampeg SVPCL sounds great, but to my ears the RBI does a reasonably good job of emulating warm power tubes. YMMV.

9. The SVP-CL + power amp combination is probably going to sound more like a SVT-4 Pro than an all-tube SVT. We had both an SVT-4 and an early 70's SVT in the house for a while, and although the SVT-4 is a great sounding amp and has a characteristic Ampeg sound, it doesn't really sound like the all-tube SVT.

If you like the clean sound of the SVT the SVT-4 or the SVP-CL/amp combination should work fine. The SVT-4 can get a nice preamp-tube overdrive, but for the overdriven power tube SVT sound only the real deal (all-tube SVT) will do.

Rick B.

10. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I've never played through any ampeg gear, but I'm thinking of trying an SVP-Pro for my Stick. I get that it will have tube warmth and rich harmonic overtones (right?).

Are the SVP's quiet in terms of noise, hiss?

How do they sound in the higher pitch ranges? I'm seeking 'bell' like tone quality. (I've heard that swaping out certain 12ax7 tubes for GT 7025's can be a nice improvement).

thanks
    -Qua

11. jusplayinmybass

jusplayinmybass

Apr 17, 2003
    Conyers, Ga
    Keith McMillan Instruments, SIT Strings, Accugroove Cabinets
    you might want to talk to Lord Valve about swapping tubes. He might know what will get you what you want. B Easy

Myron

12. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    My experience with the SVPCL is whisper quiet - unlike it's older brother, the SVP Pro.

13. That's the one aspect of the SVP I don't like.

But it has a great bite to it, when played through the right cabs.

Although I really want to try out the Alembic F1X, and maybe some other pres.

14. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Thread bump -- anyone actually compared the SVP-CL with power amp to a "real" SVT?

15. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Bump for this thread--

SVP-CL v. Sansamp RBI ????

Which is closer in sound to a rear 70's SVT??? (of which I have one)

16. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yes I've compared my SVPCL/power amp set up to my friends early '70's SVT. Not the same but close. Nobody in the front row or dance floor will notice the difference.

17. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey thanks for the info!

18. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Has anyone tried out the SVP-CL with tube power? I've been interested in it since it came out, as it may make up for a little buyer's remorse from when I passed up an early 70s SVT for my Mesa power amp.

19. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I bought the SVPCL and SVP1600, aside from paying a bit more for the power amp, I'm completely happy with its tone; I think that it runs very comparably to the SVTs (maybe a LITTLE bit "skimpy" on its mids) but the weight saved was a factor in my not buying the SVTCL. For me I don't feel like I need the mod, as it runs all the gain I'd care to have (running it through a Schroeder 21012).

I use the "ultra Low" setting at 4 (said to contour the low end to emulate the original SVT's) and boost the mid freq setting at 450Hz, the bass and treble I leave close to flat. I usually run the gain at about 70%, and the master close to the same. The only question I have now is that I rarely will have enough gain to "peak" the gain LED; that might be because I play my bass in passive mode. I'll have to try it on active and see how much difference that makes.