1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SVP CL Vrs SVP Pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Laserman, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Guys,

What's the difference between these two preamps besides the Pro having the graphic EQ? I Have a Ampeg SVP1600 Power amp and an Ampeg 8-10 cab. Currently using a Tech21 Sans amp RBI preamp and plan to get one of these two Preamps. I play in two bands: Band #1 is a 80s pop/dance band Band 2 is a 80s hair metal band

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Use the search function; many threads exist.
    FWIW, I bought the CL as it sounded better for my applications.
    Also check the preamp thread by JohnK; the CL fared very well in audio clips compared to some expensive preamps

3. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think both sound great - the difference in my opinion is in the power tubes. They're a huge part of the SVT sound and you'd miss that with the pre\power amp setup...

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    being that i own both the SVP-CL and the SVP- Pro, i personaly prefer the CL by leaps and bounds over the 'pro'. i found the SS graphic section of the pro to be completely unecessary and didn't care for what it did to the preamp's overall sound. the Pro is also very noisey by comparison, and it took me quite a few experiments with different NOS USA tubes to get it to have an 'acceptable' noise level (but it's still ALOT noiser than any of my other pre's).

to me, the SVP-CL just has more of the SVT's sound too. it has alot lower output level, but if you have an SVP-1600 it should be a perfect match since the SVP-1600 has a very sensitive front end.

5. Guys,

That's pretty much what I heard and expected that the CL was the better one. Funny, just by loking at them I thought the Opposite. I just can't dial in the tone I'm looking for with the Sans amp RBI, close but no Cigar.

6. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I got the cl a few monthes ago. I love it. The above poster was right though. Alot of the breakup comes from power tubes.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    the vt is a much better sansamp product than anything they've put out imho. the character pedals are all amazing, but the previous stuff never did it for me.

but that svp-cl preamp is world class. i've used a borrowed svp-cl to record quite a few times. i thought it sounded great, but i didn't realize how good it was until john recorded samples of all his preamps, and he's got them from the cheapest to the most high end you can get, and the cl hung right in there and even surpassed some of john's most expensive preamps.

8. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Directly, the SVP-CL is the classic SVT preamp, with a couple added settings on the switch. Very much like the VR.

The SVP-PRO is not.

9. I had a CL - and it was great for what it is.
    I ran it through tube slaves and SS poweramps at seperate times, and the thing that always stayed consistent was that the CL is a clean preamp.
    Running through a tube slave will get pretty dirty at extreme volumes, but that's power tubes for ya!
    If you want a preamp that'll overdrive and get all dirty on you, the SVP-CL isn't it.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    honestly, for live work, unless it's always on and the venue doesn't mind your insane volume levels, you're better off using pedals for overdrive and distortion.

11. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i agree completely. for me, the 'drive' control on the SVP-Pro just doesn't do it for me, so i always run it clean, and i want dirt, i use a pedal.

12. Bass Junkie

Bass Junkie

Nov 3, 2009
    Florida
    I sold my SVP Pro a couple of weeks ago and replaced it the SVP CL. Night and day difference. The Pro was the noisiest preamp I've ever heard and didn't care for the tone at all. Just the opposite with the CL. Dead quiet and the tone is great!

13. ...indeed, there is lots of info in the archives on this one. I often wondered whether the pro had any 'real world' advantages over the cl...and remember there were always reports about the noise problems with the pro, which eventually DID have a fix to them. Jerrold has the answer as I can't remember.

Hey John, what kind of issues did you have with the graphic EQ?

(That said, I do enjoy my cl and use for 'direct box' live stuff and recording.)

Jimbob

14. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i didn't have any real issues with the graphic. i just didn't find using it necessary. i think that the SVP-Pro is a really good sounding preamp but its achilles heel is that its very noisy.

15. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Maybe it's just me, but whenever I see a graphic EQ on an amp I assume it's crap. In a whole lot of years that assumption hasn't been far off the mark.

KO

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    it's you, but the cheap amp makers who bastardized them can't be held totally blameless. still, nobody seemed to mind the graphic on the acoustic 370.