Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-CL vs. SVP-Pro...which better for Spector?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Philthy, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    I'm really interested in one of these 2 preamps and I'm having trouble deciding which one to go with. One major concern for me is the very "hot" output from my Spector Euro with active EMG's and Tonepump preamp. I want a preamp that could hand this bass' gain without distorting. I'm also looking for something that would really compliment the nice punch and overall sound of the Spector. I know the SVP-CL has an input pad of -10db vs. the SVP-Pro with and input pad of -15db. Is this a major difference? Other than the obvious like graphic EQ and overdrive/distortion, what are some of the other difference with these preamps with regards to sound?

Does anyone out there have any experience with either of these preamps with Spector basses? Any help with trying to decide which is the better preamp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!!

2. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have the SVPCL and use a G&L L2500 and a Fender Jazz V with a J-retro. Both have very hot output IMO. I still have to crank the gain on the SVPCL to get any distortion at all. I don't use the -10db pad. Matter of fact if you want distortion I would say don't get the SVTCL. IMO it's a very clean sounding pre amp. No effects loop or graphic eq on the CL. Hope this helps.

3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    No, I actually don't want distortion. I want something clean and punchy with nice bottom......kinda like my women (ha, ha, ha). If I want distortion, then I'll use my overdrive pedal.

The only reason I'm concerned is that I'm presently using a Hartke 3500 in my practice room and if I play agressive with a pick....and I do quite a bit on some songs...then that thing farts and distorts like mad. I don't want to run in to that with an ampeg.

Thanks for your help.

4. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Well, the SVP-CL is about the most gain-absorbing preamp I know. Sounds like that might be worth checking out in your case. See if you can find one in person.....

5. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Yup, that's the patented Hartke Fart System (HFS ©) sound you're getting.

I got my SVP-CL yesterday and it needs some work before I can try it out. I'll see if I can get it to overdrive.

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Yeah I'd say check out the SVPCL. if you can't try it out locally, get it from musician's friend or some place similar that has a 30 or 45 day trial period.

7. Jebthebassist

Jebthebassist

Dec 8, 2004
    I have a Spector Euro with the Hot pickups. You could do what I did, buy a new wiring system for like 120 bucks. then buy the amp you want. The -15 dB pad on the Pro's seems to me that it cuts A LOT of your volume. But with the new wiring system you wouldnt have a need for it. The new wiring system I got seemed to take out the over the top volume from my pickups. Theyre still hot but I consider them to be in the "Safe Hot Zone"

8. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Tested it for you.

My Ibanez ATK has a big fat humbucker. New battery in the on board pre. Tuned it all the way up, all the EQs as well. Then I turned the master of my compressor up (+10 dBs). Yeah, the gain LED of my SVPCL started to flash, and with playing with a pick to distort a bit.
    THe pad was out, btw.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    How could the fact that you took your ATK (a bass he doesn't have), turned up all the active EQ knobs (something he'd likely never do), and successfully clipped the preamp (congrats) possibly be relevant to the original post?

10. I am using the SVP-CL with Status Graphite S2 and Zon Sonus Studio 5... both very hot output. If I turned the pot full on the basses, it definitely saturates the preamp.
    I don't like to use the pad from amps so I reduce my input.
    The Statuses are fine with it, still get a good sound but the Sonus shows some weakness. I ended up using the pad for the Sonus. It works actually great (only idiots don't change their mind).

The SVP-CL is quite versatile and eventhough I haven't tried the SVP-PRO, my pre-purchase research brought me to the CL.
    One thing I don't like though is the lack of effect loop, but I can live without it as all my basses are active ones.
    The sound of the SVP-CL can range from the classic 70s grind to the somewhat hi-fi great low end. My cabs aren't really handling the lows really well but that's another story.

Again, I think you should try both and see what your ears tell you.

:bassist:

11. MBIYF

MBIYF

Oct 6, 2004
    The Netherlands
    My conclusion is that it is very very hard to get overdrive out if the SVP-CL.