Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bigBbass451, Sep 15, 2004.

1. bigBbass451

Apr 9, 2004
    I'm gonna upgrade my setup to a seperate preamp and power amp. I was looking at getting an ampeg pre-amp because i know i like ampegs tone. the svp-cl seems to have more of a 70's classic tone and the svp-pro seems to have a huge variety of tones. i was just wonderring if anyone could give me some imput. as of right now i'm leaning more towards the svp-cl. THANKS
  2. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
  3. Do a search, there's a good amount of info on this already...

The general coscensus from what I remember is the SVP-Pro sounds great but it a bit less reliable.
  4. I like the classic 70's tone so I am planning on getting an SVP-CL with either a QSC or Stewart power amp. I have an SVT-CL that I'm totally in love with except it weighs a ton especially @ 2 or 3 in the morning. I want the preamp/power amp rack combo for gigs but I'd never get rid of that head. Trying to streamline my rig as much as possible without sacrificing my sound.

Either way you'll make out alright. I also use an SVTII that belongs to my drummer but I usually switch the graphic eq off. Too many options for me.