Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Oct 2, 2005.

1. I'm about to start a payment plan on one of these two preamps and a couple of cabs....just looking for some opinions before I drop the cash.

I've had a chance to use an SVT-3Pro and really liked it's tone, but I've never had a chance to run a CL preamp, or any older CL heads.

Basically, what's the tonal difference between the two? Mids? Lows? Modern/vintage? Ect...

The plan right now is to run whichever one I get into a Mesa 2:100 power amp, and an Ampeg 4x10 & 1x15 stack. I'm using a passive P/J style bass....I haven't made up my mind on whether to use vintage or overwound pups yet as I'm waiting until I have my amp setup to decide.

Thanks. :)
  2. I can't make a detailed comparison but I used the SVP-Pro once and from what I remember it is much easier to dial in an aggressive dirty sound. The SVP-CL (which I own) is easier to keep a clean sound with but can get gritty if you want it too. I think they have a similar basic tone, it's probably the features that separate them. I like the basic front end of the CL but the Pro has lots of knobs to mess with.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a more usefull comparison :D
  3. I don't normally bump....but I'd like more opinions....even if you've only played one or the other...
  4. Well, I used to own a SVP-CL, and it sounded great. Very thick, vintage tone (to my ears). Like MuzikMan said, it can do gritty, but I dont feel its suited very well for it. I had to crank the gain on mine to get anything resembling distortion, but if you just want a little grit, then itll do that nicely.

Some will say because of the graphic EQ that the SVP-Pro is more versitile, but I found that between the Ultra Low knob and Mid Freq. selector, it had plenty of versatility. Ive never heard anything bad about either pre, except that some have said that the Pro has small issue with noise, I cannot confirm or deny this.

I would try and get my hands on each one to play. I know sometimes its hard. Make a day trip somewhere. I did when deciding my next new bass, and Im very glad I did. Well worth the time and money.