SVP-CL--->Walter woods Pre or Return?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass

Untill I can afford a power amp I want to use my ultra wally power amp to power up a Ampeg SVP-CL.

Will it be OK in the effects return?

Is It better in the Pre?

2. Andrew,
    It sounds OK, but I would call Mr. Woods and ask to be sure. I've spoken with him many times and am always finding out something new. His amps are a different bread for sure.

I see you're looking for a Glaub. Are you interested in my USA 4-94?
    It's in new condition and is a fast birdseye maple board that is in between a Jazz and P neck but closer to the Jazz in my opinion. It's also has a match Flame top in three tone burst with drop D tuner and the MM/J Barts system. Hard shell case too.
  3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Andrew, the way that Walters amps work is that the send of the effects loop is the preamp out and the return is into the poweramp. Just put your preamp into the effects return and you'll be using the power section of the Woods.
  4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You can afford a $2400 WW Ultra but not a power amp, many decent examples of which can be had for < $500? It's a topsy-turvy world!

Don't take me seriously, I'm just joshing, mainly because I'm jealous that you have a WW and I don't. What emjazz said should work fine AFAIK, unless there's something really abnormal about WWs. ;)
  5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I have a couple of motives. One is to have a extremely versitile rig thats portible enough to move around as much as I do. I have a shallow rack bag allready and I could mount the WW with the Ampeg (wich I dont have yet but I ordered one yesterday) this way I can allways plug into the 2nd channel of the WW or simply unplug the ampeg to use bolth channels. I've been using a BDDI to do this so far. Seemslike I use it about 40% of the time significant enough for me to try to upgrade that tone.

Second motive is to put together a large rig that will stay in a rehersal room untill needed,this is were a power amp will come in. While the current rig does the majority of the getting around work.

Big string,Thanks but no I want a P bass with a alderbody and a Jazz neck.