Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Svp preamp trouble please help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metallitone, Apr 21, 2003.

1. metallitone

metallitone

Apr 19, 2003
    salinas, ca
    I just purchased a svp preamp off ebay. I hooked it up got to play it for about 30 minutes. Then a pop came out of it and now no sound:bawl:
    The peak/mute light came on and is staying on. there is a slight hum but thats it. I just wanted to know if theres anything I can check before I take it in. This is my first preamp and I cant afford a new one.
    Thanks

2. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    maybe you popped a tube or soemthing... bring it in to a store. and is the mute button pushed in or anytihng?

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I feel for you buddy, since I got one of those off ebay as well. It's risky business buying used gear. My best advice is to take it into a service tech that has experience with Ampegs. That's about the only thing you can do if you're not that familiar with amp electronics.

Good luck.

4. RebelX

RebelX Guest

Oct 27, 2001
    Merrimack, NH
    A couple of quick notes: It could be the tubes as mentioned, but I would start with an email to SLM support. They've been very responsive to me in the past with questions on my SVP. On the other hand, if the unit is less than 5 years old, and the seller was the original owner, you may be able to have him/her send it back to SLM to be fixed since it has a 5 year warranty. I hope it all works out for you, I love mine!