Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP Preamp tubes

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Davidoc, Apr 19, 2003.

1. Hmm, i want to replace the tubes in my Ampeg SVP-pro. I hope it will remove noise and/or sound better.

What tubes should I look into? What brand/model?

Also, is it important to have a 12U7 in the 4th tube slot? (Right now I have all ax7s due to do being replaced by a tech-removed most buzz, but i wanna kill the buzz totally)

Thanks!

2. It should be okay. If your preamp is buzzing, it could be a few things. Poor grounding perhaps. erm poor contact of the pins in their sockets not biased properly etc. Try to get a 12AU7 as they would have slightly different characteristics than a AX7 but they're fairly similar.

:D:D

Merls

3. I had an SVP-PRO up until last week. If you're getting some hum the first thing to check is tubes. If you have a known good 12AX7, take the preamp out of the rack, connect it to the power amp with a long instrument cord and swap the tubes out one at a time until you find the bad one.

The other fairly common problem with early SVPs is bad solder joints on one end of the circuit board - but the preamp has a five-year transferable warranty. Retube first, though.

You can use a 12AX7 in slot #4 as long as you don't crank the drive control - electrically it's probably okay but a 12AU7 has less gain than a 12AX7.

Lord Valve hooked me up with some NOS Beijing 12AX7s and we replaced the 12AU7 with a JAN 5751, I believe. I think I spent about ten bucks apiece for the tubes and it made a world of difference. You might want to ask him - I was very happy with the tubes he recommended.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Go figure. I did the same mod with Lord Valve and it made no difference at all with my SVP! Didn't sound any worse, tho, so I left 'em in.

5. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY

Yes they do.:)