Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-PRO (after 2 hard nights)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GreyBeard, Jun 1, 2003.

1. My history goes back to a small tube Silvertone amp back in 1968. I then went to a Fender Bassman with small 2x12, Kustom 200 2x15, Traynor yb1 with 8x10 (yea baby) Sunn 200s, Peavey MK IV (w/sunn cab) Alembic F1-X/Line6 Pod into many different power amps. Through it all I've never found anything that responded to my playing like the Bassman/yb1/200s tube amps did, not even the F1-X/Pod. Until now. When I first hooked up the SVP-Pro at home in the quiet of my small studio, I was real disappointed. With the power-amp up full it sounded like I had a bad ground loop. But, the SVP has so much gain that I can cancel most of it out by turn up the pre-amp and turning down the gain on the power-amp. I got it under control and in a live bar setting you can't even hear it. The real difference was apparent when I started playing with the other mates in the band. For the 1st time in a long time my rig responded like it did with tube amps. It's probably some sort of tube compression/distortion thing but it makes me satisfied to fewer notes and with more feeling. The guitar player noticed it first. He said, "I don't have to turn up as loud to hear myself. Your bass doesn't cover my tone." (I was playing louder than usual) The drummer said, " It seems to have more punch ". I said, "It's a keeper, noise and all" I'll get my buddy at the music shop to get some of the noise out of it. Probably a sh!tty tube or something.:bassist:

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i liked the svp myself
    funny, when i tried an svt 2 (which has the same preamp section) i didnt like the amp as much as i did when i used an swr grand prix running just into the power amp section
    but i was just judging from flat tones
    i'd like one, only thing is i remember a dealer dropping ampeg in the mid 90's due to an unusually high rate of product failure. (and they were gung - ho about ampeg)

3. I'm glad you like it. Same experience here. I have to cut down on the poweramp gain to get the noise to a tolerable level. Noone notices it live or durring rehersal, but I can't record with it because of the buzz.

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I love mine. I also have an SVT-2P pre-amp that I use for rehearsing but I use the SVP-PRO live.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also like the SVP-PRO and I concur on the noise issue. I just turned down the power amp gain and no problemo. I've actually taken mine out the rack because I needed the power amp for another rig so I don't have it set up right now. But I always dug the tone and I appreciated all the options. I always ran mine with a dual footswitch so I could stomp on mute and eq on a gig. Excellent preamp.

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I think the SVP has awesome tone. I dig the tone from my SVT400T a bit more, but if I didn't the SVP would definately be tops.

The hiss thing did bug me. But some TBers have mentioned that they took it in for warranty service, got the tubes replaced, and no more hiss.

I never did that myself, but I thought I might mention it.

7. Y'all with hum or hiss problems might consider retubing the amp. I traced my hum problem to a bad 12AX7 and after retubing the amp was pretty darned quiet.

The only other thing I know of that can be the problem is that early SVP-PROs had problems with bad solder joints on the edge of the circuit board.

Ampeg amps have a five-year transferable warranty.

8. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Very glad to hear it's working out for ya Greybeard! Mine should arrive tomorrow :D

9. In that other thread about the "Preamp Shootout" I thought the PRO sounded as good if not better than all the rest.

I didn't mention that there though because I didn't want to get killed. And I look biased.

10. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    My sentiments exactly! I, too, have the characteristic SVP noise. (I found ways to minimize it as well)...but the noise floor is a 'non-issue' in the live-band-situation. Rather than noise, what I hear is crushing, aggressive tone through my speakers that doesn't get swallowed in the mix...it's literally amazing how well it cuts through. The bass sounds like it was meant to be a solo instrument with this pre, doesn't it?

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There are some threads here on TB regarding properly burning in the tubes in the Ampegs to get rid of the noise.

You might want to try to find 'em.

Trying to compare most tube preamps set to "flat" is a bit misleading. Most bass tube preamps are not flat and even if you could get a flat response, that's not what most of them are about...especially not Ampeg.

Like I said on the preamp shootout thread, I really liked the Ampeg with the Smith slap clips.

Makes you wonder how good it would sound tweaked out right.

12. I agree. Flat response is something I strive for in a power amp, PA speaker, Microphone, or Mixing board. If I want flat response from a bass pre-amp, I'll just plug directly into the compressor and let the onboard pre-amp in the guitar do the tone controls. I want my pre-amp to color the sound.

13. SVP-pro is a good thing. A local bassist knew I had one, and wanted to check it out. And he works at a music store lol. He was making an order for the store, and wanted to know what it sounded like. Well, he ordered two. One for the store, one for him.

The one that he ordered for the store sold quickly if I remember. Had to order another one, did so over a SVP-BSP. And these aren't just guys that play rock that like the tone. But, that's what it'll get slapped on it.

I played my SVP-Pro w/ my QSC PLX1602 through a 810E ampeg cab. I did not need to go to much through the PA...or the in-ear monitors that night. I chubbed when I first turned it up to volume for a show. So that's what all the hype about 8x10's is. Oh yah. And lots of power. And good working gear. Ooooooooh. Got it now.

BTW, mine's never had a noise issue. Only time it's been buzzy was when I had a poopy preamp in one of my basses that gave out a hiss no matter what. Or playing someplace w/ ropelights right by the stage (idiot manuver. The PA hummed like it was going outta style)

14. Bump