Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-Pro growl

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rick1906, Feb 3, 2004.

1. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I play an Ampeg SVP-Pro through a QSC RMX850 power amp. I love the variety of tones I can get from this pre, but I'm looking for a little more growl. Any suggestions on settings to give me more growl?

2. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA

What kind of cab are you playing through? You'll get a lot more growl out of a 2x10 w/ the tweeter on and raised off of the floor then you will with a tweeterless 1x15 sitting on the floor.

I've found the SVP to be a pretty growly preamp - especially w/ the variable mid switch.

3. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I generally boost upper mids (position 4 or 5 on the selector), and boost bass and treble only a tad. Drive about 11:00... But I boost drive and gain a little more if I want OD. Switch on low and hi boost buttons. Graphic EQ on, and adjust to taste. Works for me.

EDIT: Its the brite switch I have on. The ultra hi is off.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Depends on your definition of growl! I usually boost the lower mids ... the two leftmost settings. Try leaving the UltraLo switch out... that one cuts mids.

5. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    I play through an Eden D410T that I got used through ebay. It's a good cab but I'm GASing for a new Bergie.

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I play an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro throught the same cab, and mine growls like the dickens! Mess with your graphic EQ. Try boosing around 80hz and 250hz, and around 500hz.

7. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>I play through an Eden D410T that I got used through ebay. It's a good cab but I'm GASing for a new Bergie.<<

I think it can be pretty challenging to EQ a 4x10 sometimes. I used mine last night (I usually use a 2x10) and I had some difficulty dialing in. The monitor system was absolutely chaotic and it's a boomy room, so that didn't help.

I'd still recommend raising it off of the floor (I use a milk crate) and don't be afraid to actually take out some bass and boost the mids and highs. I wouldn't engage the ultra low switch.

I'm assuming that you run the EQ on your bass close to flat?

I've also found that stainless steel strings (DR's,Smiths are fav's) really help to accentuate the growl as well.

8. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    What kind of bass are you playing? Some basses growl and some don't. My SR5 growls like big dawg no matter what kind of rig it goes through

9. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Interesting thread, especially now that I've had some time to work with the SVP-PRO.

My suggestion is change tube #2 (the drive tube) to an EH. This adds some high mid bite that other 12AX7's don't have, and makes the drive sound "hot" instead of "warm". Use the drive control instead of EQ to add high mid snarl/growl. Lower drive settings will return you to the more traditional Ampeg sound.

Excellent points Ken... I wish this thing had 2 or even 3 of those vari-mid controls! The Ultra low always seems to be a juggling act for me - in scoops too much mid, so I need to add some back with position 2. Out doesn't scoop any mid, so I need to cut some position 2. I'd love to be able to add some position 1 or 3, or both! Position 4 works great for cut with distortion that doesn't have a high rolloff filter (i.e. MXR). I know you can't have everything, and I can probably find a way to do more with less - but I'd still like an extra vari-mid or 2 :D

10. rick1906

rick1906

Jun 6, 2002
    NC
    Thanks everyone for the tips. I've been able to get some different tones from using everyone's advice. This is my first tube pre so I'm a little ignorant on tubes. I bought the unit used and the seller suggested I get new tubes soon. What's an EH tube? A specific brand? I did some research and contacted Lord Valve but he hasn't responded yet

11. The Bergi adds growl of its own. I don't think there is a pre-amp made that has more growl-balls than the SVP-Pro. I've paired mine with a Bergi 112HT. It growls so much that I think it bit me the other night. (just kidding) I get the best growl / RR tone from the setting that came in the manual called "ROCK" :bassist:

12. marc40a

marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    >>What's an EH tube? A specific brand? I did some research and contacted Lord Valve but he hasn't responded yet<<

Yes, it's the Electro Harmonix brand - they are current production 12ax7's and they for about 9$ or so apiece.