Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-Pro / Mackie 1400 problem, techies?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Mar 4, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Ok here's my dilemma, quite odd actually.
    I play through an ampeg svp-pro and a mackie 1400 poweramp. At a gig last Saturday, I wanted to go to the Mixing board, but the XLR on the ampeg is too quiet. Anyone know to remedy this?

Regardless, I didn't want my bass to go direct to the board because i like the EQ on the preamp, so i plugged an XLR into the THRU Jack on the mackie. The problem is, when i did this, the Ampeg was constanly stuck on MUTE. I tried unplugging the footswitch, and using the buttons on the preamp, but the only thing that would get me working again was to unplug the XLR from the mackie, and then the ampeg worked fine.

Does anybody out there have any idea why this would happen? My guesses involve grounding, or shorting, but i really don't know why plugging an XLR into a thru jack on the mackie would make the MUTE switch on the ampeg constantly engage. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    bump.

3. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    If you are using a regular guitar cord on the input, it sends an unbalanced signal to the XLR by grounding the negative side of the signal.

Mike

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I use the same exact rig and haven't experienced any problems. The Ampeg has a pre and post button for the eq so you can get the sound you want directly to the board. I also run the XLR to the board and just use the stage monitors as my cabinets. Maybe it's the mixer? Do you have both the trim knob and volume fader at adequate levels?
    Maybe it's the mixee? Just because someone professes to be a soundman...

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    masaru, do you go from preamp to poweramp using the 1/4 inch jacks?

Does the XLR to the board come from your SVP or your mackie?

thanks for the input so far.. it might have been the soundguy.. i'm hoping that i don't have faulty equipment.

6. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    Yes, preamp to power amp using the 1/4 inch jacks and the XLR is out of the Ampeg. Set the eq button to "post" and the Ampegs sound will be what the board hears and sends to the mains.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Well maybe thats the prob, i read that he was using the xlr out of the thru jack on the Mackie. XLR out of the Ampeg would be the way to go.

Mike