svp-pro owners and amp techies help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Sep 5, 2001.

1. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey i have a question.... i have an ampeg svp-pro preamp... and i am convinced that i like my bass sound better with the graphic eq turned on, even when it's flat. Is this just in my head, or is it possible that maybe certain frequencies get cut when the graphic eq is disengaged? Thanks for any knowledge or experience on the subject.
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    It is posible, that there is an audible difference.
    It shouldnt, but after all, now your signal is passing trough another tube circuit, so there must be some kind of effect.
  3. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I don't think you're imagining it. The graphic EQ on the SVP-Pro uses op amps, lots of them (no tubes, though). It's possible you're getting more gain and a different tone. I seem to recall the same thing with my Ampegs, too. Did it add a little deepness?

4. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    The eq seemed deeper when it was off, and brighter when it was on... i had to turn it off for most of my playing, so i could use the eq's gain slider to boost the signal when i go from playing to tapping....
    i messed with the mid selector and boosted the mids a little more and to my ears, i think i fixed it... but i still wonder how much is me wanting it to sound how i like, and other people hearing it.
    thanks for the op-amp info nightbass.. anyone else?
  5. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    Hmmm. I have an SVP-Pro, too. I'll play with mine tonight and report back.