Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svp-pro pre amp and svp 1500 power amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shortbuscubed, Aug 11, 2005.

1. shortbuscubed

shortbuscubed

Aug 11, 2005
    i was wondering if this is a good setup. ive had to sell my svt 4 pro a few months back, and found this svp set up for 500 bucks. is it worth it? pros cons? i need to rock it, and rock it hard. punk/rocknroll/posthardcore style of music.

thanks dudes!

2. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    Its a 5 space version of it, and its matching, but you could just buy the preamp, and a better power amp IMO

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    On the other hand...If it's in good shape maybe you could buy the whole deal, sell the amp at a profit and keep the preamp.

4. shortbuscubed

shortbuscubed

Aug 11, 2005
    i havent checked it out yet, but supposedly its only a year old. how much you think i can get the power amp for if i resell it?

5. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    +1!

6. The SVP-Pro preamp goes for about $300 on the used market. I don't know about the power amp but I would guess it's worth more than the remaining $200. I say go for it! :bassist:

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had this setup for a while asnd I was REALLY happy with it. It's super LOUD. I sold it cause I needed the money but I wish I had it back.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I can't speak for the power amp, but I've been using my SVP-Pro a lot lately because it rawks so hard. I've been cranking drive all the way and running halfway in the red to get some warm creamy overdrive. It can go into full distortion when run fully in the red, but that's a bit much for the music I'm playing.

9. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    The svp pro is the front end of the SVT-II preamp. The power amp is from the SVT IV pro. Both of those units tend to sell for over $1k new and $800 used.

You would definitely make money buying the stuff and re-selling it on Ebay. And if you were inclined to keep it, you probably couldn't find a better rig than that for $500--even if you searched hard.

The ONLY thing to be careful of is the SVP-Pro. Fuzzbass is one of the few people I know who got one that WASN'T noisy to an extreme. Some are quiet. Not all, though, by any means. Still, they sell like crazy on ebay.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    My SVP Pro is a little hissy but it isn't noticeable in a band on stage. I've spoken to the local Ampeg authorized repair station and was told it was likely a bad (cold) solder joint somewhere. Not a big problem to fix, they said.

11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    There was a period of time in the unit's production (namely, the blue-and-red font days) that the physical layout of the circuit pattern created the hiss. Yours may well have a solder problem. But there's more to it than that for many of the units.

12. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Mine is a later version and the hiss is barely noticeable. I've had no dealings with the earlier version.

13. Fuzzbass

I should've mentioned that I bought mine used from boogiebass here @TB, and he'd had it retubed. I don't recall the exact tubes used... I believe they were the ones that Lord Valve recommended. They aren't even high-dollar fancy ones like Telefunken or anything... bottom line is that they are nice and quiet. (For those interested, a web search should locate Lord Valve easily.)

OTOH, the SVT3Pro that I'd bought brand new *was* kind of noisy. I never found out why (I sold it before looking into it), but I always suspected it was the stock tubes.

14. Fuzzbass

P.S. Mine's also the later version

15. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

mine's a newer version also , i've never had any problems with it !!

16. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    This exact rig was my setup for quite a while. The SVP-Pro is a really good preamp...just make sure you have some nice tubes in it. Mine's due for a change and I'll be going with Lord Valve's recommendation.

As for the 1500....it's a monster loud power amp, not as loud as some, but matched with the SVP-Pro...lookout, it'll move some air with the right cab's.