Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OVERDRIVEN66, Jan 13, 2005.

1. I have been kicking around the idea of replacing my Hartke 5000, which I run mono through an SVT cabinet, with an SVP-PRO preamp and a nice poweramp. Do you think I'm heading for an upgrade or dissapointment? I play loud rock-n-roll with an old T-Bird and a Warmoth '65 P-Bass clone. Any input? Which poweramp works well with the SVP?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i have the svp-pro....

from what is hear the new pre- svp-cl is the one to get

my svp is what it is - do a search for the new one

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Used to have an SVP Pro pre. I though it nailed that "Ampeg sound," though I won't claim to be one of those people who can tell the names of the workers at the factory that made the tubes just be hearing one note. It had a lot of tone options, which addd up to basically just variations of the same basic tone. It was a good tone though. Sweet overdrive too. Liked it better with a solid state power amp than a tube one, sounded tighter and less muddy.
  4. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    the svp pro with a decent power amp, in my opinion, will be a major improvement over the hartke. but that's just me. i used to use a hartke 3500 with an mia jazz into a peavey 8x10. then i got an svp pro and a qsc rmx 1450. then i got an svt 8x10. it's amazing. i was in 3 really loud rock and roll bands, and in every situation the setup killed. i'm using in another band now. i'm also going to be using my pre/power setup for a quieter band, but with a different cabinet, and i'd imagine it will perform just as well.

you can get the svp for as little as $250 used online. i'd also look into qsc rmx power amps. i have the 1450, and since i use it bridged, i get 1400 watts into 4 ohms. and i got mine for (i think) $300 plus shipping.

look around and see what you can find. i recommend it, but you'll have to look and see if it's the right option for you.
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    I have one of the CL's in and I've had a bunch of the Pro's come through. I think the CL is by far a better pre and actually more flexable! I hate the graphic eq on the Pro.
  6. Nagan60

Jan 15, 2005
    Roanoke, VA
    What makes the CL so much better than the Pro??? I am thinking about getting the same setup. I have a QSC power amp but I can't remember what model it is but it has 1500 watts. I planned on getting the Pro because of the Graphic EQ but if you guys are telling me the CL is better than I might look into getting it instead. But I want someone to prove to me that the CL is a better unit. :bassist:

7. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    I have both.

The CL is quieter (at rest) and is more closely based on the original SVT pre design.

To my ears, the CL has a more organic sound.

There is more overdrive in the Pro, so if you are looking for the overdriven SVT sound, there is less of that in the CL (just a bit at the top end of the pre gain.)

Even since the CL came out, the Pro has retained its fans. The graphic eq is pretty useless (I bypass it entirely), but there are a lot of different sounds even without it. has sampled the pro and, as I understand it, will have the CL up shortly.
  8. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    I have an SVT2pro.. if the schematic for the preamp is the same for the SVP, when you bypass the EQ it is a proper true bypass. The opamps are taken right out of the circuit.
    nice touch!
  9. mikeyvr6

mikeyvr6 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Plymouth, Wisconsin
    I've had both and I can agree 100%. Also remember the -CL does not have an effects loop like the -Pro does, in case that makes a difference to you.