Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-PRO preamp problem

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by judas jedermann, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Hi folks!

Yesterday my SVP-PRO lost half of its output. It`s not dead silent but can`t compete with drums or guitar anymore. There also appeared slight background noise. Could it be broken tube? I just bought preamp 6 months ago and I thought preamp tubes should last years. I usually prefer overdriven tube sound, so I don`t use –15db patch although I`m using active bass and effects. But the preamp should handle it, shouldn`t it?

I`ve been looking for groove tubes for replacement, but they seem to have many sort of 12 ax7 in their catalogue (ax7 M, ax7 C, ax7 R, ax7 R2, ax7 R3) What would be best choice for SVP-PRO?

Thanks beforehand!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    If you are using with a power amp, you might first check the cable, and try another one...in the other channel of the amp. There are a couple ways that can happen due to the typical "balanced receiver" in the power amp.

Other than that, why not take it in and have it checked out? There is a warranty.....use it. Might be a bad solder joint, maybe on output jack, maybe elsewhere.