SVP-PRO preamp review

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Sep 11, 2001.

1. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    I had been playing a hartke 7000 with an swr henry 8x8 for the last 2-3 years and decided on a new rig.The main course is the svp pro preamp and here is the review.

test equipment;
    spector ns4 (czech)
    wizard custom bo
    wizard custom nt
    kawai bass
    washburn/status headless
    carvin 1500watt power amp
    dbx 160a comp
    eden 115xlt
    swr goliath 6x10

First thought ; SOB this kix ass, as a comparison to the hartke the svp is FAT, a hamburger compared to a thick roast. This pre has meat on its bones and its just a very big sound.

After a tweak:
    There are alot of sounds and features to this pre a footswitchable tuner out and eq which I like alot but one thing that all the sounds have they are very warm and thick even slapping which suprised me. You can get a very nice jazz sound out of it or the good old rock sound. The one sound I have yet to get is a real hi-fi sound, I think it will just take more tweakin but that is not a priority right now. All features are usable and I like that , I hate useless features.

This thing kicked butt through both cabs and it really likes active pickups. I thought it would peter out in the 1-15 but really held its own.
    The "tubieness" really comes out the further up the volume goes .

Conclusion: The best 280 bux ive ever spent. I bought the unit used from HC and it arrived in dead mint condition with footswitch. I would recomend this pre to anybody (except extreme hi-fi purist) and if i strip down the rack to power amp and pre you get a 45 pound 1500 watt portable earthquake in a 4 rack space, not bad. On a 1-10 scale I give it a 9, versatility function and sound quality ya just can beat it.
  2. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City

I also have an SVP-Pro. When I use my passive Hot Rodded Precision and give the E string a hard thump, the Gain/Peak light begins to flash at about 10-11 o'clock. My old SVT3-Pro was pretty much the same.

Is your SVP-Pro the same? When does your Peak light begin to blink?

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Yes mine is the same way but its ok for it to peak it out every so often you just dont want to run it where it peaks out constantly, if thats the case then you need to use the input "pad" button because you are overdriving the preamp input. An occasional peak is fine though. Mine does not really peak because im using a dbx 160a compressor and it smooths all the signal peaks before it gets to the preamp.
  4. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    So I guess it just the nature of the beast.

Thanks for the info!