1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVP-Pro preamp tube locations ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malibu, Jun 12, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    anyone here ever change the 12AX7 tubes and the 12AU7 on an SVP Pro -- what is the location of the 12AU7 ??

there are no marks I can tell on the chassis - I've read from somewhere online it might be socket #4, which I thought might be counting L to R looking from the front with the top off - however it is from the back you can read the numbers (serial no.) on the board where tubes go - so now I don't know.
    the online manual only says that tube changes should be done by qualified service personnel,
    also, the phone number for customer service I have for them was a modem beeping/screeching -

this preamp was shipped to me with tubes seperately packed - I just want to get this together to try out - not even tweaking anything yet.

I figured it might be worth a try to get a quicker response from someone here at TB, than before I can get a response from tracking down someone from Ampeg service or seller -- Thanks.

2. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    If you are looking down at the top of the preamp with the front panel facing you, I believe you are correct with the order.

12AX.....12AX.....12AX.....12AU.....12AX

Don't quote me on it, but I believe that is the proper position for the tubes moving left to right.

Ampeg support is usually pretty quick and responsive if you email them. Good luck!

EDIT - I wanted to add that I replaced the stock tubes installed in this preamp with Electro Harmonix tubes across the board. The first thing I noticed was that a TON of noise was eliminated by the switch. The stock tubes were quite noisy. I'm quite pleased with the tone of the EH tubes too.