SVP-Pro preamp tube locations ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by malibu, Jun 12, 2002.

1. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    anyone here ever change the 12AX7 tubes and the 12AU7 on an SVP Pro -- what is the location of the 12AU7 ??

there are no marks I can tell on the chassis - I've read from somewhere online it might be socket #4, which I thought might be counting L to R looking from the front with the top off - however it is from the back you can read the numbers (serial no.) on the board where tubes go - so now I don't know.
    the online manual only says that tube changes should be done by qualified service personnel,
    also, the phone number for customer service I have for them was a modem beeping/screeching -

this preamp was shipped to me with tubes seperately packed - I just want to get this together to try out - not even tweaking anything yet.

I figured it might be worth a try to get a quicker response from someone here at TB, than before I can get a response from tracking down someone from Ampeg service or seller -- Thanks.
  2. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    If you are looking down at the top of the preamp with the front panel facing you, I believe you are correct with the order.

Don't quote me on it, but I believe that is the proper position for the tubes moving left to right.

Ampeg support is usually pretty quick and responsive if you email them. Good luck!

EDIT - I wanted to add that I replaced the stock tubes installed in this preamp with Electro Harmonix tubes across the board. The first thing I noticed was that a TON of noise was eliminated by the switch. The stock tubes were quite noisy. I'm quite pleased with the tone of the EH tubes too.