Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP Pro Preamp---Tube Vents

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tolson36, Feb 14, 2006.

1. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    Just bought this unit. I have a question for any of you current users/owners.

The unit has a set of five vents directly above the tubes on top of the unit. The vents would at first blush appear to be for the purpose of releasing heat. However, the manual does not mention them.

I'm concerned because I would like to put another rack item (a rack tuner) above the SVP Pro in my current rack. This would completely cover up the vents.

Does anyone know if these vents need to be left open?

thanks for the info!!

2. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    The unit will run cooler with them open, obviously.

But I believe on that unit there are some more vents on the back, so even totally blocking the top vents does not completely seal the unit. I doubt if you will totally block them in any case, there is generally a small gap left.

Plus, as a preamp, there isn't the heat generated that a power amp produces, even though there are 5 tubes in the unit.

If you can, I'd leave a space, but if you cannot, there may not be an issue.

You can try it and see if the unit seems to get quite a bit hotter when close-racked, and if so, adjust.

3. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    Thanks

has anyone actually had the unit in such a situation and can they report no issues with regard to blocking the vents?

thanks again

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Rack unit chassis are slightly smaller than a full rack space. When you stack them, there's still a bit of a gap between the units. So, the vents on the SVP-Pro aren't completely blocked.

I run my SVP-Pro stacked with other rack units, and no empty rack spaces... I've had no problems. It's a preamp, not a power amp. My guess is, the worst that'll happen is that the chassis will get warm(er) to the touch. One exception might be if you keep the SVP in a rack with other units that generate a lot of heat, but I doubt that would be a big deal either.

5. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    If you are really concerned about it...put the tuner underneath the preamp.