Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

svp-pro tube placement

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by inazone, Sep 8, 2004.

1. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    After looking at this thing for awhile, I noticed that it is missing the 12au tube. The manuel says it has 4 12ax tubes and one 12au. Ampeg shipped it with 5 12ax tubes. I'll get one tomarrow but does anyone know which slot the 12au goes?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Fourth from the left, IIRC. ;)

3. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Thanks! It still has the bad buzz though. Im going to send it back. Any thoughts on the svp-cl?

4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You don't have to send it back... Get in touch with Lord Valve and order the set he recommends for the SVP-Pro. Trust me it will be worth it! VERY tubey and warm with no noise whatsoever. ;)

5. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Pardon my ignorance - who is Lord Valve?

6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
  7. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    if/when you do get ahold and try his suggestion... please please please post that suggestion and results....

8. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    I believe that they are just NOS Chinese Jan 12ax7's. They take away the annoying hiss that the Pro is prone to and make for a fat and creamy tubey delight. I'm starting to miss mine... :meh: :smug:

9. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    me want fat n creamy tube delight. :bassist:

so even tho I just got this thing about 1 month ago - you say I should pop it open and stick these different tubes in there and it will sound even better?

10. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    If you're happy, no. Don't mess with it. If it hums and/or sounds thin and weak you might want to try some new glass. It certainly won't sound bad and I think you can get all 5 tubes (plus some nice bonus trinkets) for under $60 shipped... Mine sounded pretty good but with hum and I got new tubes within a week or so and then it sounded great! Keep in mind that this also voids the warranty if you open it yourself. ;)

11. jeff schmidt

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    I think it sounds pretty good - not creamy tubey - but good.

It only buzzes if I use the 1/4 outs - if I use the XLR out - no buzz.

What up wit that? :confused:

I do find it sounds better the longer it's been on. I try to turn it on about 30 minutes before using it.

12. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Yeah, that's probably the tubes. You can try replacing them. You can also try getting some balanced cables made up to go from the 1/4" outs of the pre to your power amp... THat will cure the hiss but not make it any creamier. The tubes will do that. ;)

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The SVP-Pro I own was retubed via Lord Valve and I concur. It's almost as quiet as my high-dollar tube preamps (Read, Alembic). In comparison, the SVT-3Pro I owned until yesterday had never been retubed, and sputtered a bit while warming up.