Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP-PRO tubes (response from Lord Valve)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Here's what I got from Lord Valve on my question about tubes for an SVP-PRO:

"The NOS Beijing-production Chinese 12AX7s are excellent for bass preamps. $10 each.

I have NOS JAN 5814A or JAN 6189A for the 12AU7 holes, at $9 each."

And here's what I asked him:

"I'm a bass player looking for interesting tube replacements for the four 12AX7 and one 12AU7 in my Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp.

Power amp is a QSC RMX2450 and cabinets are Eden 210XLT and 115XL. There's a Behringer MDX2200 compressor/expander/limiter in the effects loop.

I play mostly vintage rock and blues and am looking for a bit thicker tone than I'm currently getting with the EH tubes that are in there now.

Price is a consideration but is not _the_ consideration. Got any ideas?

thanks -"

2. Hey Allan!
    Lord valve was instrumental in getting my Mesa M-2000 sounding as open as it does. the m-2000 has a very compressed sound inherently, the JJ teslas and JAn-something-or-other did a wonderful job in opening the tone up and making it more clear.

I give Lord Valve a double thumbs up for customer service and knowledge!

3. Thanks, '78 - I've pretty much decided to take his advice. I'll letya know how it goes.