1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SVP-PRO tubes (response from Lord Valve)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by allan grossman, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Here's what I got from Lord Valve on my question about tubes for an SVP-PRO:

"The NOS Beijing-production Chinese 12AX7s are excellent for bass preamps. $10 each.

I have NOS JAN 5814A or JAN 6189A for the 12AU7 holes, at $9 each."

And here's what I asked him:

"I'm a bass player looking for interesting tube replacements for the four 12AX7 and one 12AU7 in my Ampeg SVP-PRO preamp.

Power amp is a QSC RMX2450 and cabinets are Eden 210XLT and 115XL. There's a Behringer MDX2200 compressor/expander/limiter in the effects loop.

I play mostly vintage rock and blues and am looking for a bit thicker tone than I'm currently getting with the EH tubes that are in there now.

Price is a consideration but is not _the_ consideration. Got any ideas?

thanks -"

2. Hey Allan!
    Lord valve was instrumental in getting my Mesa M-2000 sounding as open as it does. the m-2000 has a very compressed sound inherently, the JJ teslas and JAn-something-or-other did a wonderful job in opening the tone up and making it more clear.

I give Lord Valve a double thumbs up for customer service and knowledge!

3. Thanks, '78 - I've pretty much decided to take his advice. I'll letya know how it goes.