SVP-PRO .vs. PSA-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thirdeye, Dec 25, 2002.

1. How do these two units compare?

How similar is the SVT preset on the Sansamp to the SVP??

I've heard that the sansamp SVT simulation is actually alot more,tubey,fatness wise,if ya know what I mean.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i have the svp pro and it is outstanding tone-wise! warm and fat...
    besides, how can you get more ampeg than ampeg?
  3. By listening to ampeg tone and making it even fatter when designing your own unit.....I guess.
  4. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    then that would be aguilar... ;)

5. Holy **** did you know I was just looking at the aguilar site and listening to the intro music and admiring the tone 2 seconds before coming back here??

:confused: :)
  6. jobu3

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    i'm good like that :D :cool:
  7. I owned a PSA-1 for a while and thought the sounds on the Tech 21 were very the studio. In the actual trenches, it was compressed sounding and HATED dynamic effects like ev follower. I could see it working straight into a power amp maybe but not in conjuction with an actual bass amp as the tone became quite "muddled." It cost me an arm and a leg so I was less than impressed when I realized that it had to go. I'd think that an SVP-Pro would be far more useful, if not versatile.

8. I actually own a PSA-1,a svp has popped up and I am thinking about buying it.

I've had the sansamp for 2 1/2 years,first played it thru a poweramp and decided it was too compressed and yuk sounding,like you said,but when I ran it thru an SWR head it cleaned the tone right up,it seems the SWR preamp being so clean and punchy with clear highs really helps out the tube emulation.And I think the sansamp needs more eqing anyway.And with it not being a "real" tube preamp I can get just the right amount of overdrive at any volume.

So yeah,it's pretty good for my needs,but I'm always on the search for something possibly better.
  9. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I have the SVT-3Pro which I supplement with a QSC 1602 and just recently bought the Sansamp RBI. Hands down the RBI smokes the pre in the SVT-3Pro, hands down. From what I understand, the 3-Pro and the SVP are very similiar in pre-amp design and tone.
    I was actually really dissapointed when I plugged in the Sansamp because it sounded so good right away. I had only bought it for a backup unit and possible other tones for direct recording. It sounds so good that it is all I am using.
    More punch, thicker Bass, Thicker fatness, WAY more active tone controls. The Drive function is subtle and juicy.
    I have been running this through a brand new Ampeg 6X10HLF cab at 4 ohms.

I have been recording with it for nearly a week with intense results. I don't think the bass settings on the PSA could touch it. That pre was meant for guitar, with bass patches as an afterthought, the RBI was strictly meant for bass and it shows. Extremely versatile.
  10. Do you know this from experience?

Cause if that is true,I might look into the RBI.
  11. naw, that's just not right. The bass settings on the PSA-1 are quite respectable. The Alembic preamps (F1-X and F2-B) are both based on the Fender Showman but sound stellar for bass. the PSA-1 is good at what it does I'm just not that fond of it's compressed dynamics.
  12. Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    I originally used the PSA during a recording session, which led me to look at the Bass Driver, which eventually led me to buy the RBI.
    I remember opting for the Johnson J-Station bass tones for recording that day over the PSA, though now I can't stand the sound of the Johnson for direct recording.
    I have never heard the PSA live thorugh a bass cab so I can't say.

No question about the respectability of the PSA and it's bass settings, It is a stellar pre-amp and tone generator. Very versatile, however it still can't touch the RBI in terms of bass tone (In all honesty it's not supposed to either, it's not even a fair comparison).
    The RBI does not sound compressed or unnatural. For the bass, it truly is levels above the PSA. It was designed soley FOR the bass.

Please don't take my word for it, if you have the opportunity to check out a RBI do yourself the favor. It is a small effort towards possibly finding a pre-amp which can work for you.
    I think all of the reviews I have read from other TB'ers about this pre have been unanimously thumbs up.
    Best of luck.
  13. Thanks,I'll look into the RBI.