svp pro vs. sansamp rbi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Nov 25, 2002.

1. thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...i posted this on harmony central, but i wanted your opinions also. i have an svp pro, with a qsc rmx 850, and a peavey 8x10. at a show the other night, i basically had to crank the amp to keep up. the sound was very distorted, and i couldn't calm it down. just couldn't keep up. i bought this set up to replace a hartke 3500, and so isn't doing what i wanted in terms of volume. the sound is getting really distorted. it sounds great at a low volume at my house, but live is a different story. so i started thinking that i hooked things up wrong, but after looking at's right. so i started thinking that this is just the sound of the svp, and that maybe i'd be able to get a cleaner tone (at that volume) with a sansamp rbi. i have a bddi that i used to use with the hartke (didn't use it live much, because i didn't feel like messing with having foot pedal around). the guys at harmony central said to keep the svp and retube it because that is most likely the problem. so what do you guys suggest?
  2. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    Is your power amp clipping? I have a SVP-Pro run it through a QSC amp (1000 watts) and have no distortion. Back off of the drive on the SVP and make sure that the gain is at a level were the red light periodically lights up.
  3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    How old it the SVP? You might need new pre amp tubes & if so, ask you tech or person you're buying the tubes from that you want preamp tubes that are less likley to distort & more likely to stay clean.