Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

SVP+QSC or SVT PRO 4 or SVT PRO 5 thoughts

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurt M., Aug 19, 2002.

1. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    OK,

Here's where I'm at. Currently play and Ampeg SVT 3 Pro. Not enough juice so it's going. I've been reworking other aspects of my rig too. Am switching from a Spector 4 to a Lakland 5. Have gone from 4/10 to a 1/15 + 2/10 (this may change). I play hard and loud. I have to because our guitar players don't seem to understand the meaning of "turn it down". I play in an original hard rock band.

OK my choices: Decided to stick with the Ampeg in some way/shape or form.

Ampeg SVP pre + QSC 2402. The good: Should come in about 10 lbs lighter than the other 2. The SVP has a drive control for getting that extra *bite* that my type of music needs. Uses 5 tubes for added warmth. Plenty of power. The bad. QSC is an unknown reliability wise. Can't bi-amp without an external crossover. No compressor.

Ampeg SVT 4. The good. Powerfull. Good set of features. Can biamp w/adj crossover. Has built in adj compressor. The bad. Heavy. No drive control or distortion as in the SVT5.

Ampeg SVT 5. The good. Powerfull. 2 channels can be blended to produce the right mix of dirty & clean. Biamp w/xover. The bad. Heavy. 1 button compressor. No eq.

Thoughts from the crowd? Ampeg is the only piece of gear that has never let me down. Sometimes I'm guilty of forgetting that.

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I'd get the 2402.......I have one.....and that and my preamp are about the same weight as my SVT3, but with a ton more power.

3. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Any reliability probs with the QSC? Do you gig with it on top of your speaker cabs? Has it stood up?

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've had the QSC for a couple years and at least a couple hundred gigs....no problems so far / knocks on wood:D

5. QSC and [preamp of your choice] gets my vote.

6. My vote? I just finished building this rack on Sunday :)

[​IMG]

7. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Allan,

How's it sound? Do you anticipate any problems with the amp being at the bottom of the stack (hot air rises)?

Side note on power distribution/conditioners. I don't use one. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I've always wondered why they don't have a light in the back as well as the front. The sound man always seems to have trouble hooking to my amp's direct out (hard to see on a dark stage). I usually carry a small flashlight but a built in light would be great. Furman ya listening?

Kurt

8. I'm going to say SVT-4PRO but your hearing it from a 14 year old who still wants one.:rolleyes: And my dad has had more experience with Ampeg (back in 60's and 70's) and he and I do trust them, too. He never told me bad stories about his old B-15. Except when he had to get rid of it. Well good luck deciding.

9. Kurt asked...

How's it sound? Do you anticipate any problems with the amp being at the bottom of the stack (hot air rises)?

Side note on power distribution/conditioners. I don't use one. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea. I've always wondered why they don't have a light in the back as well as the front. The sound man always seems to have trouble hooking to my amp's direct out (hard to see on a dark stage). I usually carry a small flashlight but a built in light would be great. Furman ya listening?

I'm still getting the compressor dialed in - but so far I'm really impressed. Very strong sound but I'm working on the midrange a little - it sounds a little more compressed than I'd like. I may end up moving the compressor pre-EQ instead of post-EQ.

As far as hot air rising, the back of the rack is open, the amp's fan pushes air out the front of the amp and only one of the other components is more than about 8 inches deep. Almost half the amp has clear space above it. I'm not real worried - especially at the power levels we're talking about. I don't think this thing's ever gonna get turned up more than halfway ;)

On the light thing - I forget who had the idea, but I read something in another forum about a guy who plugged one of those night lights with the shade that swivels into his power conditioner - it solved the lighting problem and you can aim the light. I thought it was one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time.

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    and has MUCH more power...
    I don't have experience with QSC but I only read (very) positive comments - including reliability.
    You could add a compressor pedal easily.
    Remaining question: Do you need/want to bi-amp by all means? If yes, the lack of a crossover IS a downside. But personally I would drive both cabs full range anyway.

Bottom line: SVP pre + QSC for me.

No wait. Change that to G-K 2001RBP +QSC ;)

Matthias

11. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Great idea. I was going to figure a way to hook up a worm light from my son's handheld video game but your idea is a simplier solution.

This is in the back of my head. I thought I might try runnig a 15" as a sub and full range to my 2/10. At present I run an SWR SOB as the 15". For this setup running full range would be the way to go because it has a tweeter. I am thinking of moving to the Bagend S15BD which doesn't have a tweet and at that point I thought I might like to try an biamp it.

I actually checked into that pre. I was told by GK that it would be 60 days untill it's out. That was last week. After all I've heard about GK reliability issues I'm sticking with Ampeg. Of course if you end up getting the GK pre and it's a winner let us know.

12. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Separate pre/power amps will allow you to leave your options open in case your tastes change in the future. With the SVT 4 or 5 you would have to replace everything for a new tone. With the QSC you would only have to switch the preamp.

Less weight + more versatility gets my vote. The QSC is fan cooled back to front – I wouldn’t worry about putting it in the bottom of a rack. Also, I would run both cabs full range, thus no need for a crossover.

13. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    I have the SVP + a Mackie, which doesn't really get any airtime on TB.. anyway.. i vote PRE + QSC. SVP is the best sound for me that i've ever gotten.

Onboard compressors tend to be crappy, IME.

I don't know about the 4 and 5, but the SVP has a footswitchable graphic and mute button. Both of these i've found to be quite useful.

I think That drive control is a godsend for rock music. It doesn't go fuzzy distorted unless you push the gain all the way up, but it adds bite like nobody's business.

My vote is SVP + Poweramp

oh, and i thought i saw a furman with lights on the back too... it was one of the more expensive models. I also think a power outlet on the front is a good idea but you don't see that very often either.

14. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The QSC is bi-ampable....you just need a preamp that is.

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I like the svp + qsc thing...why? That's what I'm usin too!

I'll have to get a pic, but it's a Furman PL+, then an empty space for the heat, the svp, bbe 482, then a 1850hd rounding out the bottom

works well, I like it :)

16. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    And another piece of gear which is a crossover. Or maybe you mean a pre with a built-in crossover. I'm trying to stay under 6 spaces here.

I downloaded the QSC manual today. Very informative. One dumb question. Does the QSC have a fuse or a circuit breaker? Can't find any mention of it in the manual.

Seems that the SVP is the big winner by a landslide.

17. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I've never really paid much attention to it, but yeah, I believe there's an external access fuse on the rear panel. There's a helpful fella named Bob Lee that roams the boards here at Talkbass, he could probably provide a definitive answer.

18. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Hi Kurt,

Glad you like the manual (I wrote it). ;)

QSC PLX amps have an internal fuse mounted to a circuit board. It won't blow (even if you're running 2 ohms/channel) unless something goes wrong in the power supply. If it blows, something in the amp needs fixing.

19. Kurt M.

Kurt M.

Dec 11, 2001
    Reading, PA
    Bob,

Thanks for dropping in. What if there is a short on the line voltage coming into the amp? Normally the amp's fuse would blow. You could then solve the voltage problem at the outlet (or remove that paper clip from the end of the power cord), replace the fuse and away you go. With an internal fuse that doesn't seem to be an option. I'll have some more questions for you when I get home and take another look at that great manual.

Thanks,
    Kurt

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Why would an amp's fuse blow if the power line is shorted? That's when the power line's circuit breaker would trip. The amp would just see a brown/blackout.